The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
DK Customs
Speedway Instruments
DK Customs
Zippers Performance

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom (Wife's)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Wifes)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCSE (Mine)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
MGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inaccurate speedometer

Just got an '04 1200 custom a few weeks ago and just now found out that the speedometer is off about 5 miles per hour. Only about 4000 miles on the bike. Any thoughts???
Old 24th May 2010
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Mine indicates 65 when I'm doing 61 (confirmed by other bikes and my GPS) I'm just living with it. Figure it can't hurt me.

'05 883 C
Old 24th May 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Shaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the rough

They're all inaccurate... in your car, bike, truck... none perfect. Usually they have a sweet spot where they are most accurate and then fall off after that.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 24th May 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati Monster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
roachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of lightroachhill is a glorious beacon of light

That's alot closer than my speedometer. They are only required to be within 5 mph but mine is closer to 10 mph off at highway speeds.
Old 24th May 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
mozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nice

The '04 and '05 models were notorious for this problem. Some of it can be cured with the current ECM flash, but it still won't be perfect. What brought mine back to accurate was putting a 130 tire on the rear in place of the 150, but mine was only off by 2% after the re-flash.
2005 883 Custom, 16" apes, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, w/EVO 8" round cover, National Cycle light bar, Mustang Wide Studded Solo Seat and Pillion, Khromewerks 2" drag pipe slip-ons, Cycle Visions 30" sissy bar, 3" tank lift, HB125XL Hydraulic Primary Chain Tensioner. Riding is my life. Blinging is just a hobby.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th May 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
cotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nice

3 mph fast on my 2009, confirmed with GPS and Road side radar trailers.
Old 24th May 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
dashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant future

The same problem exists for the 2005s. There is an ECM reflash available through the dealer. There was no charge to have it done when I first heard about it in early 2005. I don't know if they would charge for it at this late date. Since the 2004s and 2005s are almost identical I would assume that the same problem exists with the 2004s.

I never bothered to have mine done, I just know that it reads about 10% fast and shows 10% more miles than actually have been covered.

Talk with a local dealer, maybe it will be fixed free.

Old 24th May 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

The speedo re flash is also supposed to correct a timing issue.

SEMJPM
Old 24th May 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSX750ESG
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
bshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura about

Mine says I'm doing 220kmh while sitting still - the speedo died some time back.

But most speedo's are not accurate, or I should say they are built to indicate within an accepted error range, usually calibrated to read higher than actual to prevent you accidentally speeding. 10% higher than actual is typical.

Cheers,

Brett
Aesthetics: chin spoiler, bikini fairing, front signal relocation
Old 24th May 2010
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
BWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant future

That's almost exactly what mine is off........as verified by my gps.

Stuff: YES
Know Thy Hog