The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Get Lowered
Fix My Hog
RYCA Motors
RYCA Motors

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough
Default kidney oil tank/battery box picts request

Hey all, as most of you don't know, I'm putting a 1974 together. Started with frame and cases. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how exactly the battery box/oil tank/ regulator all went together on a stock bike. My parts manual helps a bit, but not enough. No, I'm Not sure if all the frame tabs are on my frame. Anybody got picts of that assembly to help me out.

Thanks
Joe
Old 31st May 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

The battery tray support leans towards the head bolts to the trans. make sure the bolts aren't too long as the one closest to the out case will interfere with the trans gears. There are 2 rubber isolators on it. One on each side. On accessory block on the left side of the frame above the motor mount (rectangle with square holes in it), place one rubber isolator in the bottom hole. Install negative battery cable to the top hole now, pain to get in later. Install battery tray from the left side onto those 2 rubber isolators. There is a tab on the right side of the battery tray that will be located out by the diagonal brace up towards the seat rail. Install another rubber isolator there. The oil tank has a tab on each side that attaches to those isolators. Then install the three bolts through the end of the battery box. The regulator installs on the battery tray where the studs are sticking out. There are 2 'coves' on each end of the battery tray on the right side. The front 'cove' is for the vent hose that comes out of the cam chest, routes in the recess between the case and rear motor mount and goes to the forward or 'middle' fitting. The 'cove' on the rear is for the battery positive cable to get to the solenoid and for the return line that comes off the top of the trans, under the starter, through the hole in the battery tray support and up to the top fitting by the cap. The supply line is the lowest fitting and routes with the vent line by the motor mount down under the motor to the oil pump.
Old 1st June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough

thanks. I see now I'm missing the support piece.