The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Biltwell
Zippers Performance
Get Lowered
Dead Creek Cycles

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
jettech777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Adj. Hot or Cold ???

Is it better to adjust the primary chain with the gearbox hot or cold, What do you say?????
Old 1st June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Roadster
Porky is an unknown quantity at this point

COLD. The chain "Grows" as it warms up.
Old 1st June 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: MV Agusta
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
kiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nicekiwicafesporty is just really nice

Doesn't matter according to the manual. Gives a different length to adjust to for hot or cold.
Old 1st June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicafesporty View Post
Doesn't matter according to the manual. Gives a different length to adjust to for hot or cold.
Actually, can't say about the manual for your 00. but it matters for the OPs 05 (and as I understand for pretty much all the 04+) where the manual specifies to do it overnight cold stating that the factory tools necessary for hot adjustment aren't available in the field.
Old 1st June 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Oli1200 is on a distinguished roadOli1200 is on a distinguished road

I tightened mine to the point where I could hear it whine while riding with a 3/4 helmet on. Then backed off and loosened it gradually until I couldn't hear it whine while riding.
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st June 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

The owner's manual for my '09 gave specs for hot and cold...
Cold...3/8"-1/2"...9.5mm-12.7mm
Hot....1/4"-3/8"...6.3mm-9.5mm

I hope this helps,
Flash

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Old 2nd June 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
jettech777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it cold, found the tight spot and shot for about 3/8" and it seems to be just fine...
Old 2nd June 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
mozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nicemozart577 is just really nice

How hot is hot? Since "hot" is a relative term, I've always adjusted mine cold.
2005 883 Custom, 16" apes, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, w/EVO 8" round cover, National Cycle light bar, Mustang Wide Studded Solo Seat and Pillion, Khromewerks 2" drag pipe slip-ons, Cycle Visions 30" sissy bar, 3" tank lift, HB125XL Hydraulic Primary Chain Tensioner. Riding is my life. Blinging is just a hobby.
Old 2nd June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 roadster
Rainrider is an unknown quantity at this point

I check/ adjust mine when changing the primary oil. Pull drain plug/ inspection cover and let it drain over night, then check and adjust if needed cold. That way there’s less oil mess when I roll it in gear with plugs out to find the tightest spot and adjust if needed. Then after the next ride I do a quick hot check. The chain sure tightens up when hot, and will screw things up if you run like that. That’s how I do it.
Old 3rd June 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki 900Z1B
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joe66 is on a distinguished roadjoe66 is on a distinguished roadjoe66 is on a distinguished roadjoe66 is on a distinguished road
Default primary

The way I've always checked or adjusted mine is hot. This is my reasoning. Since hot is the natural, normal operating temp, it just seems best to adjust it then. When is the chain cold? When it's sitting still. When is it most important for the chain to be adjusted correctly? When it's being ridden, in other words, Hot!
I go for a ride to warm things up, Park bike. Jack up bike. Remove inspection cover. Remove drain plug. Adjust chain as oil drains. Replace plug. Add oil and replace cover.
Am I looking at this wrong?
Mustang Daytripper, Hurricane AF, SEII SD, Progressive springs and shocks. Willie & Max large slant bags with Easy Brackets, Iso grips and pegs. Superbrace, Quick detachable windshield. Single driving light.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson
Know Thy Hog