The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Superbrace
Hammer Performance

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLR Tribute
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light
Default Triple Tree to Frame Lock Loops?

Does anyone know when HD starting adding the padlock loops to the frame and the bottom triple trees?

I have a -52a tree w/o loop and a 66 frame with them. Quite possibly could have been cutoff by the PO, but...

Just curious.
Old 9th June 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1960
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1959
Magneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of lightMagneto Sportster is a glorious beacon of light

The frame had the loop as far back as the k model days. it was originally used to mount the steering damper. i myself am also curious about when they started to add the lock tab to the lower tree. they still used the steering damper in 1966, so the tree wouldn't have had the lock tab. both of my '69 xlch's have the lock tab. so they added it sometime between 1966 and 1969. hopefully someone has the answer because i am restoring a 1967 xlch and need to know if my lower tree needs the lock tab. i suspect it was added sometime in 1967.
Old 10th June 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLR Tribute
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light16ouncePBR is a glorious beacon of light

What an exciting thread....Well maybe not but...

Been scouring the parts books and the 54-65 K/Sportster book shows a -54A tree without. The 54-78 book shows 70 and earlier front end as a separate piece called "Fork Lock Bracket" with part number of 45724-68A. Seems as if it is a bolt or weld on piece. The 71-72 front end shows that too. As well as the 73-74 too. Plus the 75 up.

Think Magneto Sportster is pretty close with 67 or 68 being the year based on the part number ending in 68A.

So in summary the my 62 project is proper without.

Not sure why the 69s have it for security...They already have a Tillotson.
Old 10th June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

Yes, that's the correct triple tree for your bike. Magneto, I will go look at my 68 and see if the triple tree has the lock tab as soon as this freakin' rain stops! (It's been raining here for about a month and a half).

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart