The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered
DK Customs
Licks Cycles

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
brownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enough
Default LOUD POP and SUPER HOT BATTERY

Hi Fellas,

Interesting Friday evening. I took the motorcycle for a little spin cruise in the paking lot. On my way back the motorcycle started jerking as if it was gonna die and as I rolled it in to park it she died. I tried starting it back up but i couldn't keep her on. As i was trying to start her up i heard a loud pop and smoke under my seat. It sounded like a backfire but i don't think it was. I noticed I lost all electrical. No lights or power, zero! I noticed my battery was getting hot super hot and almost impossible to touch. I also noticed some sparking under the seat.

I immediately ran for my tools and managed to disconnect the battery and placed it far away from me as I feared it was going to explode and send my 82 to Harley Heaven or me to you know where. It was so hot I almost dropped it. MY GOSH!!!! W T Fudge????

My questions to you fellow Ironheads: What the #$%@^# happened? Anyone have any experience with hot batteries or problems like this?

Please reply to this as I am totally lost. I am trying to learn and picked up a FSM and yes I tinker but tonight I didn't do a thing! Just turned her on and took her for a spin.

Thanks,

BrownSkull
Old 11th June 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA A50R
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Sly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the roughSly is a jewel in the rough

Dude! Glad you got it out quick. Check around the battery for any short's. And take it and have it tested for a bad cell. If you saw spark's it must have shorted to smething? Should be able to see where it arced across? Any melted wire's?
Old 11th June 2010
Oh $&!t, now what. . .

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
beornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of lightbeornj is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a short to me too. Not much you can do but start inspecting your wiring. I'd bet somewhere there's bare wire touching metal. Start looking in the area the sparks were coming from.
Old 11th June 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
brownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enough

Sly,

Thanks for the response. It's too dark to tell what the damage is now. I will have to take a look tomorrow morning. So was that battery going to explode? I figured it was headed somewhere terrible fast that's why I decided to disconnect it? It was just too hot. How bad do they explode or pop? I was afraid of it spraying battery acid all over me.

So you think it's a shot and a bad cell then? I will check tomorrow and have the battery checked as well.

Crud! What about the loud pop? Is that the cell going bad?

BrownSkull
Old 11th June 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Other Motorcycle Model: Kaw Z1 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about

could be a charging system short, maybe in wiring, battery is getting to much return juice, as if excess voltage is going to battery instead of frame
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

To get the battery that hot, it was most likely s short in the heavy starter cables and connections some place. Look for burn marks and melting around the starter wiring and components.
Old 12th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

Batteries can explode but it is usually when over charging or charging at too high an ampere rate.

The expolsion happens is when the Hydrogen gas is released and confined to a small area or is unvented and you create an spark - like making or breaking a connection point/terminal.

It can also explode violently when the cell's vent tube or caps are restricting the off gassing of this hydrogen and there is an internal plate short or spark.

I have both seen and heard some amazing explosions particularly in the years when the six volt systems were in use and some were still using the +ve terminal as the ground.

When the party inadvertently placed a 12 volt jumper cable set on backwards it would usually happened just as they were disconnecting as it takes a little time (30 -60 seconds) to to produce enough Hydrogen gas.

As for your popping sound it could be the circuit breakers you have been testing/referring to in earlier posts.

If it is (the CB's) you may want to replace each with some newer ones although I can not see them creating as much heat as you mentioned.

Like "Hopper" said it is likely the heavier cables shorting to generate this amount of discharge heat.

Let us know what you find as the culprit.

Cheers;