The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Motor Stage
NRHS Performance Long 2
Sky Smith Insurance

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future
Default clean you gas tank....

well about 2 weeks ago I low sided my bike. just a slow drop when I leaned her too far and got up on the pipe and slid out.

ever since then she's been running for crap and has had me just pissed to no end. so today I seid "this has to end now"

I pulled the carb, a slight bit of crud in the carb. not bad, I've seen her worse.

pull the fuel filter, and what the fudge???? its full of mud. MUD??? how in the hell did I get mud in there?

so. out comes the fuel petcock. nope, nothing wrong there.

pull the tank next and what the hell is that.... maggots??? no, mud wasp larva. seems that when the tank was in storage last summer a wasp built a nest in there and I never knew about it .

when I went down I musta washed the nest down off the top of the tank and now it desolved and ran into the filter which trapped it and plugged up.

so the moral of the story is.... wash out that tank thats been sitting for years before just throwing it on and hoping for the best.....
thank god for darwin ;)
Old 14th June 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Shuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished road

Glad you were able to figure it out. Those little bugger's can get into the darndest places you can emagine. Even if you have all the holes plugged it is still a good idea to check before installing.
2009 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200C, vivid black, Vance & Hines big radius, SEPST, SE/Heavybreather ac, HD detachable backrest/pad/luggage rack, HD detachable windshield, detachable HD synthetic leather saddlebags, three brakelight's/run/brake/turn signal mod, sundowner saddle, RK shocks, Prog fork spgs, bullet lenses F&R.
Old 14th June 2010
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant future

That's crazee!!!!

Stuff: YES
Old 14th June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
billdog is on a distinguished roadbilldog is on a distinguished roadbilldog is on a distinguished roadbilldog is on a distinguished roadbilldog is on a distinguished road

Was the tank off? How would they get in? That is some wierd shit right there! It is making me laugh pretty hard though.
Old 14th June 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 standard/ 1200 conv
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS650 (2) Honda XL
Other Motorcycle Year: '81
chopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the rough

Glad you figured that out. Stuff like that could take forever to find and have you spending alot of time and money chasing other problems that aren't even there.
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th June 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
fatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats insane...
Old 15th June 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
undeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really niceundeadfred1 is just really nice

WTF? haha man that sucks! glad everything is gonna work out though.
Old 15th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
linkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nice

If I ever remove a tank I keep it in a bag or at least cap the openings just so that stuff dosent happen to me.
Old 15th June 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

it was an old tank from a hummer that was just sitting on a shelf for years with no petcock in it, so I figger the wasp entered through there.

the tank was on my bike all last year with no trouble but the nest might have been stuck to the top inside were I coudn't see it or where gas wasn't getting to it (I rarely fill my tank to the top with gas). the grubs were very old looking , like they might have been in there a while but its near impossible to see down in this tank through the filler hole cause of a ?coil? box built into the tank.

oh well, I need a bigger tank anyways, this is just too small and I can only run about 80-90 miles on a fill.
Old 15th June 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 (Kim's now)
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT
Other Motorcycle Year: 02
sportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing they didn't come flying out the first time you fueled up.