The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Lickscycles
Bison Motorsports
Biltwell
Superbrace

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Silver will become famous soon enoughSilver will become famous soon enoughSilver will become famous soon enoughSilver will become famous soon enoughSilver will become famous soon enoughSilver will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Sportster battery keeps dying (what's up)

My 2009 XL1200C has been perfect since I got it. Now for the first time I rode it 3 days in a row to work in straight rain.

The 4th day I went out to ride to work (no rain), I went out to start the bike and dead battery (not even any lights or anything). Put on a trickle charge overnight and bike starts up and ride around for an hour. Bike will start up right away after bike is shut off so I'm thinking it's kept it's charge.

Next morning dead again. Any suggestions. I have an HD security system on it and instead of the usual pulsating key light, it's on a steady bright red after I turn off the bike. I also notice I now don't always get that sound of the Fuel Injector before start up. Weird...

I'm thinking something is running after I turn off the bike but can't put my finger on it. Did the ride in the rain cause this?

Please help.

Thanks,

Silver

PS - I didn't take out the key on ACC it was completely off.
Old 14th June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Check the cable ground connections...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 14th June 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: kz750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
joesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant futurejoesporty has a brilliant future

and all the fuses...
08 XL883;HAMMER 1250,Heavy breather,Rinehart 2-1, Power Vision,Ebc floating rotor,XR1200 Nissin caliper,1200R Mastery cylinder,RK shocks,1in tank lift,wire tuck,crossroads fork brace,low rise drag bars int.wired,Goodridge Ss line,Chrome valve stem covers, and a few top secret parts..
Old 14th June 2010
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Check the all the battery connections and fuses (as the others mentioned). Also, pull the relays and see if there is any corrosion. It's a well known issue with the EFI bikes that they goofed with the wiring harness and the relays often get corroded. There's a few different symptoms, one of them being battery dying because the corrosion allows the battery to drain.

Do you have a voltmeter (and know how to take volt readings)? It's pretty easy to check if the charging system is working.

Old 14th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
PaulDM has disabled reputation

I had the same symptoms, dead battery after sitting overnight. In diagnosing the electrical drain I noticed that the efi pump was slowly running. I replaced the relay and it's been fine since. Last week the bike didn't want to start, it felt like a problem with the switch itself, I broke out my spare relay and installed it and that problem went away too.
2007 XL 883 - 1/4 Harley Fairing - ISO grips and pegs - Mustang Vintage wide - Adjure Reflector & PIAA bulb - 50 State Mufflers - ABS front fender - Tail pack for stuff - HyperPro progressive fork springs - Whittlebeast rear shocks = Rocky Mountain Sport Tourer :-)
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th June 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Yup to what Dan said - I seem to remember some threads about corroded relays allowing the IAC valve to constantly cycle with the key off which would slowly drain the battery.
Old 15th June 2010
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

+ 1 on everything said here. Your riding in the rain and / or washing has corroded your relay terminals resulting in your fuel pump probably running all the time. Easy fix to clean the corrosion and I would recommend spraying the back side of the board with a conformal coating of some sort.
Old 15th June 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW Lux, I've never heard of/seen the fuel pump run because of the relays...because I'm pretty sure it takes the ECM to complete that circuit, but it's same idea, some components of the EFI system are cycling when the relay clicks shut... I guess in theory the fuel pump might cycle too then I dunno
Old 15th June 2010
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
FWIW Lux, I've never heard of/seen the fuel pump run because of the relays...because I'm pretty sure it takes the ECM to complete that circuit, but it's same idea, some components of the EFI system are cycling when the relay clicks shut... I guess in theory the fuel pump might cycle too then I dunno

Could be? What I should have said is corrosion is causing some kind of sneak path on the relay board making some component run and drain the battery.
Old 15th June 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 04 XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Seca400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
crospo has disabled reputation

Pull the main 30Amp fuse overnight.If battery is still fully charged at least you know there's a drain somewhere.Then you can likely rule out the battery and charging system.
Know Thy Hog