The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Get Lowered
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
COON is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 1976 sporster clutch problems

Here we go again ... I have a 76 xlh i installed a new clutch for old ones were burnt and steels were warped ....i adjusted it twice according to factory manual ...hers the thing clutch does not disengage .....put it in gear hold clutch in still turns motor over ...also have replaced ramp kit and new cable ..this is same problem i had before replacing clutch
Old 17th June 2010
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: '78
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: 93" Shovel/Pan
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
rivethog has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by COON View Post
clutch does not disengage .....put it in gear hold clutch in still turns motor over ...
If you mean that the kicker/electric starter turns the engine over even with the clutch lever pulled, that's normal. If you have it in gear, pull the clutch lever in, and hit the starter, does the bike itself move?
ACE Hardware gr. 8 bolts Krylon & Rustoleum "premium" paint JT-6 waterproof grease, Emgo oil filter Loctite blue red & green AutoZone headlight bulb socket genuine Aftermarket rear fender generic countershaft sprocket Radio Shack 16ga & 14ga wire forks off of a 180mph drag bike Swallow 4.60H18 rear tire 3.50 x 19 Shanghai front
Old 17th June 2010
Biker

Even if its not running you can tell its not disengaging and yes starter will move bike when you hit button with clutch pulled in
Old 17th June 2010
Biker

With bike off in second gear clutch pulled in if you hit starter butoon bike trys to take off
Old 18th June 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

clutch is sticking , mis-installed, adj. improperly I`ll pm a cell in case you want a walk thru.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th June 2010
Biker

Double checking will let you know what i found out ...otherwise my call tomorrow
Old 18th June 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Even if its not running you can tell its not disengaging and yes starter will move bike when you hit button with clutch pulled in

I am assuming you did the adjustment correctly, so....
Just do like you are supposed to and start it in neutral.
Then roll it down the driveway and hop on. As it is rolling put it into first gear and ride it around the block. Better now?
pg
Old 18th June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
With bike off in second gear clutch pulled in if you hit starter butoon bike trys to take off
This is normal. The starter runs on the ring gear on the clutch basket, which is connected directly to the primary chain.

A better test is to put it in gear with engine not running, pull in clutch and see if you can push the bike forward. Even then, a new clutch will often drag until you have ridden it for a bit and bedded in the new plates.
So take it for a ride and see how it goes.
Old 19th June 2010
Biker

Dennis72184 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently did mty clutch and had the same issue, ended up needing washers behind the pressure plate. I guess since the stuff was all new it needed more clearance to disengage. Drove me nuts but that solved the prob.
Old 19th June 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: custom xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
BOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enoughBOB ROSS will become famous soon enough

how long does it take to break in. i put new clutches in mine having the same problem with adjustment

bob
Know Thy Hog