The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 3  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
BIKE BUILDER
Hammer Performance

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: XS 400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
coldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enough
Default Springer front end on a 04 + question

Hey guys I have noticed a few guys on here putting on springers on their 04+. Had some questions about this. I realize there is some front end modifications that need to be done, but any of the experts wanna chime in here that have done this. Looks like you need to cut off the fork lock and do some other mods as well. What else is needed? new brake set up, new axel? any info would help.

Was thinking of ordering 1 and figuring it out but just wanted to get some sort of idea what im getting into

Thanks guys
Old 25th June 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
NickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the roughNickeR is a jewel in the rough

+1 on this question....im going for a springer next winter on my 2010 "48"
Old 25th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: motorcycle
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Bastard mess of parts
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
Dlish has disabled reputation

Paughco sells one that fits, from their online cat. it says its "bolt on". Keep in mind Paughco is big $, and you would need an axel and brake too, more cash.

I remember seeing threads about people that have used DNA/EBAY springers as well, and that is where some mods had to be made.

My 2 cents...I am a "get what you pay for" shopper, I have a springer softail as well, and looking at what is going on in the springer...I would tend to trust the moco or a company like paughco that has been building springers for a longg time. Never ran a DNA, but if you are going to be dropping the money, I would check them out in person if you can. Just look through the back of The Horse or any bike mag, there are a lot of small outfits building springers...is the quality control the same?
Old 25th June 2010
Greasemonkey

coldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enoughcoldies81 will become famous soon enough

I hear ya Dlish, but as you said $1,000.00 + for the Paughco one aint gonna happen for me. I was more of less throwing it out there for pro's or cons. The DNA on e-bay goes for about $400 so who knows what u get for that, although I have heard lots of good things about DNA as well, as good as Paughco No, but from what I hear its a great product for the price. We will see...
Old 25th June 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: '89
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1200 Custom build
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
fordpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen some over here in the UK made by owners (Ok so they are engineers like myself) that are as good as most I've seen from recognised suppliers. The benefits you have from a custom build is that you can spec the quality of parts used. Some manufacturers use bushes, while others use bearings. The suppliers that use bushes would probably say that bearings are overkill for the travel involved, but personally I would say they give plenty of feel, and the good ones last. I have a set of plans for myself, but haven't got round to doing anything with them yet. I will be going at least one step up on all the suggested specs when I start. They will be built to outlast the rest of the Sportie. At the end of the day it comes down to your confidence in the supplier/ maker.
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th June 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Charles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to behold

How bout this:

http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/SpringerParts2.html

IamVince used that for his build. I'm sure you could call them and ask if they could make it fit for a rubbermount.
Old 25th June 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
svwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura aboutsvwannabe has a spectacular aura about

Im not running a springer but if you dip onto chopcult and start reading up, dna's are trash compared to a higher dollar company. Lots of complaints of being very noisey and sloppy once they get some miles on them. Just looking out for a brother
Old 25th June 2010
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwannabe View Post
Im not running a springer but if you dip onto chopcult and start reading up, dna's are trash compared to a higher dollar company. Lots of complaints of being very noisey and sloppy once they get some miles on them. Just looking out for a brother
Thanks man, exactly why I figured I would post the question. I def need to do a lot of research before I drop the $$$$
Old 25th June 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLN Iron
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enoughPLEG1972 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeR View Post
+1 on this question....im going for a springer next winter on my 2010 "48"
let me know if you want to sell your front end when you do...I'll buy it!
Old 25th June 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
walka has disabled reputation

There have been a few guys on the Forum that have fitted, DNA Style Springers on to 04 and up, The Neck on 04 and up is recessed back into the Frame more than Pre 04 Bikes. What happens is you dont get any turning circle as the lower Tree fits the Frame.

To fix this some of them have Notched the Frame.
In my view this is very Dangerous .

I fitted on one to a Iron for a friend , what I did was Mill out the Lower Tree on the Springer to safely give all the Clearance that was needed, I also fitted a Spacer under the Lower Bearing just to help lift the Frame for a little more Turn.

You also need to move the Gas Tank back about 1"

Know Thy Hog