The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Get Lowered
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 70's
Other Motorcycle Model: Virago 250
blacksmith.jb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine pinging when idling

Hi you all
When I start my bike in the morning I do it with a bit of choke on, and it goes in a fast idle about half a minute or so, but I'm thinking that there's some pinging goin on at this RPM. I've read that detonation is supost to happen when you pushing on the engine, like up the hill or something like that. Could it just be the thermal shock on the exhausts? How can I be sure that is detonation?
And if it is.. how do I stop it? I've read a lot about detonation but couldn't find a way to stop it.
Thanks in advanced
Old 23rd September 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I think the det'n is caused either by a lean condition or timing too advanced. I might be wrong on this as i am not expert or have a lot of experience with it.

I would wait for other opinions first, but consider reviewing the Setting Your Pilot Screw and Setting Ignition Timing Stickys.
Old 24th September 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Could your motor be stuck at full advance? Detonation at idle is very rare if not imposible. Most likely you are hearing something else.

AW
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***