The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
883 Sportster

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
markv460 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default something ain't right

A quick run down: I bought a '69 Sportster that had a rebuilt motor and trans(local), and the reciepts to prove it. I talked to the rebuilder and bought the bike. The bike had a broken clutch cable when I bought it so I took it home and threw a clutch cable in it. The previous owner told me that it had a wet clutch and the clutch was grabby till it warmed up. No problem with that, but the clutch also slipped now and then. Pulled the primary cover off and loosened the springs up a bit. Seemed to make a difference, but it was probabley in my head. I'd adjusted the clutch about 4 times and decided to take it apart. The clutch plates and discs look new. The clutch shell, though, wobbles. When I say it wobbles, I mean if if you put your left hand and right hand on either side of it you can shake it at least an eighth of an inch front to back. This can't be right, since the torque from the crank is transfered to this through the primary chain! The clutch hub is tight, which should keep the clutch shell tight. Am I missing something? Thank you guys in advance, this is the place that I learned how to adjust the clutch.
Old 9th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

The wobble is normal, I changed out my bearing just to be on the safe side and guess what, Still wobbles!! Pretty goofy design in my opinion, but I guess it worked for 30 Yrs.