The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
Licks Cycles
Lickscycles
BIKE BUILDER
NHRS Performance

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
wvak47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HD Diagnostic tools

Ok the folks at my local stealership has done it to me again. I truly hate calling them even though at this point I have their number burnt into memory. Although they are friendly to me now (guess I earned my way into their little click) they just don't stock anything I need or have folks that know what the heck I am talking about even though it is their #s.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get these items. HD-42682 Breakout Box, HD-46601 addapter for 2005 XL, and HD-44750 Digital Technician?

I have gotten my codes from the onboard diagnostics, but need this box and addapter to go through the flowchart process on fixing it.
Old 25th September 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
crazy5dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you for real. you want a digital technician? First they cost $10-15,000 depeneding on options and what country you buy one in. they are only sold to dealers, and require a weekly update from harley to work. so if say you stole one or bought it on ebay, within a week it would stop working. A breakout box(bob) and the adapter for it to just plug in are also unnessesary. do you have a Shop manual? about $50. use the wiring diagrams in the back and read the trouble codes in the electrical section or buy the electrical manual! you cant buy the 3 things your asking for and you dont need them!
Old 25th September 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Back in the mid-90s I seriously considered buying the break-out box for my RK, it wasn't that outrageous.

I'm shocked to hear that about the DT, both the cost (you can get a decent scan tool from OTC for automotive applications for 1/3 of that) AND the fact that it is so proprietary. I thought the EPA was stepping into this field too and going to make sure all tools are available to the aftermarket, but I could be wrong.
Old 25th September 2007
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvak47 View Post
Ok the folks at my local stealership has done it to me again. I truly hate calling them even though at this point I have their number burnt into memory. Although they are friendly to me now (guess I earned my way into their little click) they just don't stock anything I need or have folks that know what the heck I am talking about even though it is their #s.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get these items. HD-42682 Breakout Box, HD-46601 addapter for 2005 XL, and HD-44750 Digital Technician?

I have gotten my codes from the onboard diagnostics, but need this box and addapter to go through the flowchart process on fixing it.
You don't NEED a DT....Buy the Electrical Manual, and you can do whatever you need to....The DT is for dealer convenience...The only thing it can do that you can't is remap (or in your case, other minor ignition changes, such as timing).....and that's what aftermarket ignitions are for, if you want to go that route....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 26th September 2007
Biker

Well yes I was for real, but thanks to your wonderful information I have came to the !!!!!! Harley stage of the game. Looking into a new ignition system to do away with Harley's Crap and open more options to me. Don't like being dependant on anyone but myself.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th September 2007
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvak47 View Post
Well yes I was for real, but thanks to your wonderful information I have came to the !!!!!! Harley stage of the game. Looking into a new ignition system to do away with Harley's Crap and open more options to me. Don't like being dependant on anyone but myself.
I'm the same way Dude, But with the Electrical Manual and a good DMM (digital multimeter), And at The most a Scope you can find any problems. Try to wean yourself from the dealer They are Thieves !!
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 27th September 2007
Biker

Wean my ass, cold turkey man. Only problem now is the lack of choices for the 04-06s. I am looking at the Thunderheart setup. Atleast it comes with the software and cables needed. I have the laptop no issue there.