The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Figure Machine
Superbrace
Fix My Hog

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
yogurtslinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BOBBER PROJECT, How big of a rear tire can I fit???

Hey guys, I am in the middle of my sportster/bobber project and now comes the next step.. I have cut the fender struts off directly behind the top shock mount and have also removed the fender. The new fender will be swingarm mounted once I figure out tires and wheels. I have the bone stock cast 13spoke wheels and tires and want to know how much bigger of a tire wheel combo I can go on the front and back, I also removed the front fender and will be using stock forks/trees.. Can I fit a 140 tire? can I go bigger than 140?? If I have to space out the rear sprocket, I would do it if its not really expensive to do..

so how wide can I go for front and rear tires and rims?

Last edited by yogurtslinger; 23rd June 2005 at 23:07..
Old 23rd June 2005
Biker

bump
Old 24th June 2005
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
sunkenloot has disabled reputation

Im working on putting a 150 metz on mine (2002 883) right now..I think if you want to go that big your going to need a chain drive, and offset the front and read sprocket or use a dished rear sprocket. I am having a tough time gettin it to all fit but, it looks like its going to work. You might try and track down some of RottenRalphs posts. He talks about using a 150 with belt drive. Damn cool. Crim and some of the other guys have documented this alot on the sporster.org list as well..He has alot of good info in his posts. There are tidbits of good info thru-out the board here and over there, ya just gotta hunt em down..Like what Im doing right now..
[move][FONT="Arial"][B][I][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]2002 XL883[COLOR="DarkOrange"]R[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]................................... [B][FONT="Arial Black"]Stage 1, SE/AC, SE can, Tach/Speedo relocated onto dropped eyebrow, Chain conversion with PBI aluminum flat face rear sprocket, Zippers offset front sprocket for A 50/21 (2.38:1 lower than stock 883 ratio) RK 530 x 112 link nickel plated O-ring chain, Rear sprocket spacer.300, ME880 100/90H19 Front Tire, Metzeler ME880 150/80HB16 rear tire, Black center mags, SE Fork brace, Dyna fork caps, Barnett clutch cable, EZ-pull clutch insert, Pingel Petcock, retro grips, Black slotted levers, HD temp. dipstick, Mini bullet rear signals, no chain guard[/B][/FONT]...................................[/SIZE][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"]S.Y.W.F.T [/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][/FONT][/move]
Old 24th June 2005
Biker

let the hunt begin
Old 25th June 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
McJohn has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurtslinger
Hey guys, I am in the middle of my sportster/bobber project and now comes the next step.. I have cut the fender struts off directly behind the top shock mount and have also removed the fender. The new fender will be swingarm mounted once I figure out tires and wheels. I have the bone stock cast 13spoke wheels and tires and want to know how much bigger of a tire wheel combo I can go on the front and back, I also removed the front fender and will be using stock forks/trees.. Can I fit a 140 tire? can I go bigger than 140?? If I have to space out the rear sprocket, I would do it if its not really expensive to do..

so how wide can I go for front and rear tires and rims?
are you going to custom build the swingarm mount fender? if not, where can you buy this? i'd like the same but cannot find it and am not mechanical enough to build it myself.....
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th June 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

uquackmeup wrote this article, supported by rottenralph. Although the article is about mounting the 150/80-16 on the '95 sporty, I found it correct when I did the same on my 2000 sporty. Bought the 3/8 spacer mentioned in the article and it worked perfect with my belt drive. Had to leave the brake pads out of the caliper; once I got the wheel onto the axle, just slipped them in.

http://www.geocities.com/when_pigs_fly_mc/880.html.htm

Best of luck (sorry it doesn't answer the question for yogurtslinger).
Old 25th June 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

MIne is a 93 with the same wide tire. They can run about 6 1/4th mounted and still fit. Need to read the article twice before starting. When done right you will have minimal belt clearance but all you need is a little.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.