The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Speedway Instruments

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: X1
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Bobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura about
Default Cutting 1/4" steel

I have a 1/4" thick peice of weldable steel from Lowes. The piece is 4x12". I will have one cut that will be about 6" long. The rest will be half that.

All I have are a sawzall, jigsaw, and cutoff wheel. I have metal blades for the two saws. Can I do this with these tools? Is one going to work better than the other? I don't have a band saw or a plasma cutter, maybe some day.
Old 17th July 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
shadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura aboutshadecorp has a spectacular aura about

While back bought a cut off disc from Sears.
put it in whats called a contractors saw.
Have cut a lot of rebar.
good luck.
H.D. engine guards.
H.D. tank bib.
Licks bag.
Arai "Profile" helmet.
Life Member N.R.A.
Life Member C.R.P.A.[/B]
[B]And three years, United States Army. :)
M.P.C.
Cold War Era[/B].
Old 17th July 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura aboutkg8270 has a spectacular aura about

ive used a jigsaw but take your time
Old 17th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

a reciprocating saw will work no problem. have a fresh blade. is this straight cuts? a good jigsaw will also work if not straight cuts. fresh sharp blades is the key
Old 17th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

I prefer using a cutoff wheel on my high speed grinder if I don't have a bandsaw available. I have trouble with getting straight cuts with hand held saws.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th July 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

If you have a cut off saw or a miter saw, you can buy a carborundum blade (looks like a brown fiberglass wheel. They come in 8, 10 and 12 inch diameters. Buy the one that fits your saw.
Use it ouside. It makes lots of spots and leaves metal dust all over the place.
Cut slow. It will make a straight acurate cut with out all the elbow grease need with a jig saw.

If I had to use a sawzall or jig saw (and I have in the past) I would clamp 2 guides to the plate to prevent the saw from drifting.
Old 17th July 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I have a 1/4" thick peice of weldable steel from Lowes. The piece is 4x12". I will have one cut that will be about 6" long. The rest will be half that.

All I have are a sawzall, jigsaw, and cutoff wheel. I have metal blades for the two saws. Can I do this with these tools? Is one going to work better than the other? I don't have a band saw or a plasma cutter, maybe some day.
Hi,

I'm not a steel fabricator by any stretch of the imagination. Usually the first tool I reach for is my side grinder. If I have to make a pretty long straight cut I use a metal blade in my circular saw. I can get a pretty smooth cut with an edge guide.

If I want it done really clean and accurate I take it to the people who make my saddlebag brackets and seat backs. (It's nice to know a guy with a plasma cutter

Ozark
Old 18th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: X1
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
Bobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura aboutBobo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone. I have fresh new blades for the jig. Going to give that a go first just cause I want to see how it does as I have a few slight non-straight lines. Cutoff is my back up for everything.
Old 18th July 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

I would use the sawzall and dress it up with an angle grinder.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 18th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

I was at home depot today and noticed that they sell a metal blade for standard 7 1/4" handheld wood saw, lol. I bet its LOUD
Know Thy Hog