The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Superbrace

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 with 1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
neverstp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel mixture

Hi I am new to this forum and new to the harley world I just purchased a 1996 883 that has the 1200 kit in it with drag pipes my question is that I feel it may be running to lean not sure who or what kit was put in it has stock air cleaner. I pulled the plugs and they are a little reddish and the pipes are very blued what temps should the head be when warmed up and what temp should the exhaust be? feel free to be technical I run a large semi truck repair shop so I am a advanced tech but not a Harley one

Last edited by neverstp; 22nd July 2010 at 18:21.. Reason: o
Old 23rd July 2010
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

The best way to verify mixture is to put an a/f meter on it. Anything else is guessing. You can read through the tuning threads here:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=491296
Old 23rd July 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

I don't know the temps nor am I any where near advanced. (heck I don't know anything I didn't learn here)
This is how I do it and how many on this forum do it.
Lots of variables:
1.You need to know what jets are in the carb. Yiu should propbably have a 180 main and a 45 slow jet.
2.You need to mput a free flowing air cleaner on it.
3. drags are really not good unless you have reverberation cones. Straight exhausts rob you of power.
4. Very gently turn you mixture screw on the bottom of the carb oll the way in (clockwise)
5. Back out the mixture screw 2 and a half turns.
6. Start the bike and after it's warm start to back ythe screw out until it stumbles (count how many turns over the 2 and a half you went when it started to stumble.
Now go back to the 2 and a half setting.
7. turn the mixture screw in until it stumbles and count how many turns less than 2 a half you went to get it to stumble.
8 Now subtract the 2 numbers to find the middle. turn the screw all the way in and bring it out the number of turns you found to be the middle.
After riding for miles or so pull the plugs to see if its rich or lean (kind of a guess)
Adjust from there in 1/2 turns until you like how it's running.

Or get it dyno tuned and the techs will adjust the jets, needle shims, mixture screw and anything else need to get it to run beauty.

Sorry for the winded response.
I suck at explanations
Old 23rd July 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.