The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Dead Creek Cycles
Lowbrow Customs
Progressive Suspension
Burly

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
mybimmmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need help with 1973 XLH

Just purchased my first Harley last Thursday. I'd like to know as much as I can about the Harley (1973 XLH) I purchased and will post pictures below. I can't tell what's been done to it but it looks longer than the normal XLH's that I look at. Any help figuring out what's been done to it from the pictures would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks a ton!
Old 25th July 2010
Biker

Old 25th July 2010
Biker

Old 25th July 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Well for starters its been hard tailed hence the longer then normal
Old 25th July 2010
Biker

Thanks for the quick reply. I am very new to Harley's and I'm not real familiar with being hard-tailed. Was it originally a softtail?
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Originally it had a swing arm with shocks. Hard-tailed means the PO put a rigid rear section on it, be it bolt or weld on. It can increase the stretch quite a bit. Looks goo though.

RIP: Eli
Old 25th July 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

My first Harley was a brand new 1973 XLCH 37 years ago.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 25th July 2010
Biker

I did a little research on it. I want to turn it into a bobber. Do the front forks look original to you? How hard is it to convert the rear brake into a disk brake? I think I will remove the front brake entirely. It supposedly has a S&S stroker kit on it ...anyway for me to verifity that? It's really really loud though and I love the sound. Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 25th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

cant tell for sure but it looks like it might have stroker plates under the jugs. Hard to tell from the pic. It's a hard tail so making it a bobber is easy from there. some welding and fab work is needed to mount a rear disc, but it isn't impossible.
Old 25th July 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Original frt forks you would be asking for trouble removing frt brake rear drum where marginal at best when new not something to rely on as only means of stopping.some finaggling may get a rear disc on there never know.remove timing plug and roll engine over and look for marks on crank that might tell you but I doubt its a stroker
Know Thy Hog