The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Hammer Performance
Hammer Performance
Zippers Performance
Speedway Instruments

NRHS

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: M2 Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
shupe is on a distinguished roadshupe is on a distinguished roadshupe is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on the Evo Sportster

I'm really a big twin guy, but had an Ironhead for many years and currently have a tuber Buell.
So I'm just wondering..................
When the Twin cam BT motor came out all I read was that one of the main design objectives was to reduce mechanical noise so the exhaust would not have to be so restrictive. Thus, chain driven cams were quieter than a single gear driven cam.
I figured that some sort of redesign on the Sportster would be coming soon.
I mean, FOUR gear driven cams has to be noisier than one, right?
But now the TC has been out for over ten years, and the Evo Sportster soldiers on basically unchanged. I expected the rubber mounted Sportster of 2004 to have been the time to introduce engine changes (along with a 6-speed trans), but it didn't happen. There have been substantial changes to the XL motor, but it has retained its 4 gear driven cams.

While I don't really feel either the Sporty or BT need 6 gears, if the BT gets a 6 speed, it only makes sense to eventually give the Sporty 6 gears at some point. Of course, the BT 5-speed came out in 1980, the Sporty didn't get its 5th until 1990.

Anyone else find these things curious?

1997 ElectraGlide Classic (bought new)
1976 Shovelhead
2001 Buell Cyclone
Old 28th July 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

thank god they don't go chain...

chains wear out and need to be replaced. gears rarely wear out.

why do you think that they make gear drive systems for chevy V8's

chain drives are cheaper to mass produce
thank god for darwin ;)
Old 28th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

shupe,Nope. Like it or not the Sporty is HDs price leader, Good value for the cost and a competitive performer in its class. IMHO the 6 Spd is a marketing tool, not an engineering improvement. With the Torque of a V-Twin, 5 Spds are more than enough, I would like to see a Hotter 1st gear in the 1200s 5 Spd box instead of a 6. The 4 cam design is an Iconic part of a Sporty, plenty of other choices on the market, all trying to be a Sporty!!
Old 28th July 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

One of the first mods I made on my dyna was gear drive on the cams. Changing to chain on a sporty would be a mistake I doubt they'll make.
Old 28th July 2010
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Same reason they left the Nosecone that does nothing I think, Because the 4 gear driven cams and the noise that goes with them have always been "Sportster"...
The 04 Design changes were inline with the market and keeping the sporty A Sporty....
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th July 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Tzarofsmurfs is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a '04 1200C and find I rarely use the 5th gear. Great torque and minimal shifting now. I don't use 5th till 72+mph and it purrs along at 85mph.

How would a 6th gear improve the bike?
Old 28th July 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I think that HD is planning to make changes to the Sportster engine and the others when they need to comply with EPA regs that require motorcycles to be watercooled. It's going to happen. The question is when. It's a money issue for HD at this time. That kind of R&D is not cheap.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 29th July 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
worn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzarofsmurfs View Post
I have a '04 1200C and find I rarely use the 5th gear. Great torque and minimal shifting now. I don't use 5th till 72+mph and it purrs along at 85mph.

How would a 6th gear improve the bike?
6th would be the same as 5th is now with a closer ratio gearset
Old 29th July 2010
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaskins View Post
I think that HD is planning to make changes to the Sportster engine and the others when they need to comply with EPA regs that require motorcycles to be watercooled. It's going to happen. The question is when. It's a money issue for HD at this time. That kind of R&D is not cheap.
that will be a sad day. I am glad I got one of the last carbed models. gonna keep this one for a while.
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90
Old 29th July 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

If they have to make a sportster quieter they have other things to worry about than the gear driven cams.
Know Thy Hog