The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches
NHRS Performance
Zippers Performance

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Other Motorcycle Model: Kaw Z1 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about
Default sprocket shaft seal

got a leak, I have looked and looked and cant find the instructions in my FSM i have an E84 ... clues ????
Old 5th August 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
47Harley is an unknown quantity at this point

Instructions for what?
Old 5th August 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Sprocket shaft seal installation instructions are on bottom left and top right of page 6-25, in 99484-85. Some additional info on bottom right of page 6-18. Schematic diagram is on 6-17.

Note that you install the sprocket twice, once to position the seal/retainer; then a second time to finalize the installation. This is important.
Old 5th August 2010
Banned

jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about

thanx my version pdf is missing one diagram but the others are enough, a terminology error on my part really ..
Old 5th August 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

I have a cut down sprocket that I install to center the seal and allow me to tighten the screws with the sprocket installed.

Old 6th August 2010
Banned

hey mick got the part number for that seal ??? didnt see one on J&P site but then I'm not sure, I'm getting conflicting info on my searches
Old 6th August 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

You can make a tool if you have a lathe available, instead of installing sprocket twice, you may need to grind bolt holes in reatainer slightly to center corectly.
Old 6th August 2010
Banned

correct me if I'm wrong but the FSM says i gotta take out the transmission???
Old 6th August 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Are you talking Engine sprocket or Transmission final drive sprocket? Either way case does not need to be split!
Old 6th August 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
hey mick got the part number for that seal ??? didnt see one on J&P site but then I'm not sure, I'm getting conflicting info on my searches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybravo View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but the FSM says i gotta take out the transmission???
I am talking about the front sprocket for the rear chain. This is known as the transmission sprocket. The seal is called the mainshaft oil seal. The transmission does not need to come out to remove/install this sprocket or the seal/retainer.

The seal is part number 35151-52A; the retainer is 35254-52; together they are part number 35150-52. It is common practice to replace both together as there is then less chance of it leaking.
Know Thy Hog