The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all
Default Gas Cap Leak...

Topped off yesterday before a ride, and had gas going down the spine of the tank for a bit, wiped it up & tightened the cap, and it was fine. So I just figured it was a loose cap.

Filled it up just a bit ago, making sure the cap was tight and straight, and it did the same thing on the way home...

Only thing I can think of is the heat as of late (100* plus days lately) is causing the gas to expand a bit after topping it off and capping the tank.

Thoughts?
Old 10th August 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
JoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really niceJoeFriday77 is just really nice

You should have an overflow tube that comes out of the back of the tank. Are you seeing anything come from there? I would think you should see it there before coming out the top.
Old 10th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C converted to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX Street Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
xtremer-pxl will become famous soon enoughxtremer-pxl will become famous soon enoughxtremer-pxl will become famous soon enoughxtremer-pxl will become famous soon enoughxtremer-pxl will become famous soon enoughxtremer-pxl will become famous soon enough

mine started doing that..but I had dropped my gas cap. I didn't see anything wrong with it. I got a new one off ebay for $15. and it no longer leaks.
Old 10th August 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFriday77 View Post
You should have an overflow tube that comes out of the back of the tank. Are you seeing anything come from there? I would think you should see it there before coming out the top.
Yeah, checked that already, nothing I can see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremer-pxl View Post
mine started doing that..but I had dropped my gas cap. I didn't see anything wrong with it. I got a new one off ebay for $15. and it no longer leaks.
Hmm... I haven't dropped mine or anything. Maybe it's worth the $15 bucks to replace it...
Old 10th August 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

You can replace the gas cap o-ring for less than $2.00.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th August 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaskins View Post
You can replace the gas cap o-ring for less than $2.00.
Oh, I didn't know there was an o-ring... that's probably the ticket...
Old 10th August 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
grancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to beholdgrancuda is a splendid one to behold

Mine stock cap was leaking on my Iron and I was just tighning it by turning it till it clicked. I have started putting a little pressure downward and it goes about 1/2 a turn tighter and it has not leaked since.
Old 10th August 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
egadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really niceegadd is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
mine stock cap was leaking on my iron and i was just tighning it by turning it till it clicked. I have started putting a little pressure downward and it goes about 1/2 a turn tighter and it has not leaked since.
x2
Old 10th August 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: IRONHEAD
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
skeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of lightskeith5 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep..make sure your fuel cap clicks a couple times when you put it on. They are designed to click when tight. Same thing goes with modern cars.

Scott
Old 10th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
kNiGHt FaLL is an unknown quantity at this point

i have two friends.... one with a bob and the other has a rocker and they both do it. Mine no, but i have a different cap on it now.
Know Thy Hog