The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports
Progressive Suspension

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2010
Be annoyed Now;Ask Me How

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
flskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to beholdflskevin is a splendid one to behold
Default Riding with Diabetes

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 4 months ago. In April my A1C # was borderline 14-15. Now with diet, exercise I have dropped that number to below 7. I'm still learning how to deal with this. But I do believe that in a short time I will be able to go off my meds and control this with diet & exercise only.

My biggest concearn is how to go on long rides. Every now & then my Glucose level drops very low to the point of my hands shaking, finding it hard to concentrate & an overall crappy feeling. These are not symptoms you want while riding a motorcycle.

My ride down to Deal's Gap to take part in the XLF Dragon Run I encountered situations I had never experienced before. I even had to turn back on the beginning of a ride after having a glucose drop.

I started this thread for any other XLF'ers that may have Diabetes that have questions or may have learned ways to ride safely.

"... With Liberty & Justice for All." Must be 18, Void where prohibited, Some restrictions may apply, Not available in all 50 states.

"My intentions are good & earnest & true but under my seat is internal combustion power. Satan is my motor(scooter)"
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Not only are the voices in your head real...they're accurate too!
Old 17th August 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c 105th Anniversary
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
professir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of light

Part of the solution is to get your numbers consistent. Eat on regular times like clockwork, eat WELL and get your rest. It can be done, but nothing is worth a crash. I am working on a 1000 mile in 24 hour run around Lake Mich in 2 weeks, and I am doing more planning on food, and water then I am gas and oil! I have heart issues that require more attention then my borderline diabetes, but the path is about the same. Good luck with this.
Old 17th August 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
Robotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to beholdRobotech is a splendid one to behold

Dude, right there with you man. I was diagnosed about a year ago. My better half rode my ass more than I rode the bike to get my diet to improve. Today, I've dropped 40 lbs, changed my diet, have my fasting sugars to 102 and my A1C to around 6. I am off meds and have been for about six months now. Keep it up man, it's beatable! I still am fighting it every day (damn sweet tooth) but it can happen.

Thanks for posting this though...reading about others dealing with the same issue helps...a lot.
"why pay someone to screw something up when you can do it yourself for free?"
Old 17th August 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rodhotter has disabled reputation

typeII diabetes is a lifestyle disease, there are many things YOU can do for yourself dropping the lbs is great, exercise the first 20 minutes of aerobics you burn all sugar, bodyfat minimizes the effectiveness of insulin,taking chrominum helps insulin work better. beware there are some dangerous diabetic drugs and thats what most doc's push because they have little nutritional training, if you do not know about the glycemic index learn, its available free on line, there are lists of foods and how they enter the bloodstream, your dr should have told you this. there is much info on line dr mercola is a wealth oh health, remember most dr's are all about the $$$$ and what they know about drugs comes from drug reps aka salesmen, start exercising slowly if you are very out of shape working out in water is easy on joints, good luck only YOU can CURE your self inflicted problem
Old 17th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki RM125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
k-walk16 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with all those tips. im 26 and have had type 1 diabetes for 15 years now. consistency is the main thing. you cant monitor your blood sugar enough. eat right and excercise. i have a sliding scale for my diet and its based on carbohydrates. sometimes its difficult but nowadays there are so many things to help one control diabetes. i believe in my lifetime there will be a permanent cure for diabetes. at least im hopin that anyway.

Old 17th August 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000XLCH IH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
konel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 36 years and have experienced just about every situation with high and low blood sugars.The main thing for type II control is exercise and diet.I have'nt stopped riding since I started back in the mid 60's.The main thing to be concerned with is eating all meals and snacks as directed.I can usually tell well in advance if I am going to get the shakes(low blood sugar) and I always carry a roll of lifesavers or some other type of hard candy or snack with me just for such emergencies.It's always good to have some type of snacks with you if you're making a long run just in case you feel the need.For some reason low blood sugar always seems to happen when you're in the middle of nowhere and not a store or restaurant anywhere near.At the very first sign of low blood sugar just pull over immediately and eat something to get your sugar back up.You can't wait because the shakes will jump up and bite you in the ass fast after the first signs and things start going down hill from there.Trust me I know this well.Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
"When I was young, Most of my money was spent on Motorcycles, Women, and Whiskey...
The rest of it I just wasted":smoke
Old 17th August 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
biged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nicebiged is just really nice

I was diagnosed in 97 as a type 2 with a glucose reading of 1650 thought I had the flu. Well I lost 125lbs and in 6 mo.s was off all med.s so I thought I write this to say BE CAREFUL!! don't get cocky a year later it came down on me with teeth the way it was explained to me when I lost the weight it took time but my body got used to it and the underlying problem resurfaced.
As for the riding part I keep a pack of peanut butter crackers in my vest they are easy to pack and don't require much care when and if I get a little shaky I eat maybe 2 or 3 and sit in the shade for ten min.s don't over do it because you wind up on a roller coaster by crashing one moment and spiking the next and that sucks
Old 17th August 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB-Sturgis
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
KelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightKelticWolf is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flskevin View Post
I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 4 months ago. In April my A1C # was borderline 14-15. Now with diet, exercise I have dropped that number to below 7. I'm still learning how to deal with this. But I do believe that in a short time I will be able to go off my meds and control this with diet & exercise only.

My biggest concearn is how to go on long rides. Every now & then my Glucose level drops very low to the point of my hands shaking, finding it hard to concentrate & an overall crappy feeling. These are not symptoms you want while riding a motorcycle.

My ride down to Deal's Gap to take part in the XLF Dragon Run I encountered situations I had never experienced before. I even had to turn back on the beginning of a ride after having a glucose drop.

I started this thread for any other XLF'ers that may have Diabetes that have questions or may have learned ways to ride safely.
I was diagnosed a few years ago type II I seem to do well keeping my levels 7 and below in the winter, summer I party and ride to many miles between food and drink (non beer) breaks, soooo busy riding and then, real beer breaks. don't let it take over your life, I think the docs over compensate the condition but I am on oral insulin ... type 1 is serious shite though ...
Old 17th August 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 94 HP XL1200C sold :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

I can't help with your question you but want to say take care of yourself, Kevin. Don't go off your meds unless your doctor tells you its ok. There is nothing wrong with taking medication to control your disease. What you have is going to stay with you the rest of your life but you can live a full and normal life if you pay attention to your diet and exercise, TAKE YOUR MEDICATION, consistently monitor your blood sugar and see your doctor regularly. TAKE CARE AND RIDE SAFE!

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Old 17th August 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
dino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the roughdino is a jewel in the rough

Just listen to your body, carry glucose tabs, eat right, and ride with someone that knows about your condition
Know Thy Hog