The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
S&S Cycle
Biltwell
RYCA Motors
Biltwell

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Triumph T140
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
Rudy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans rebuild questions

Well, I have bought replacements for my water damaged primary drive and transmission and will be reassembling my "bargain" '82 soon. I have a background in this sort of work and a factory manual so I am almost ready to go. One thing that is different about this trans is the oversize roller thing. This is pretty unusual but apparently there are several roller sizes to choose from for setting up the output bearing. How do I know what size roller to use? I must need to know diameters of the shaft bearing surface and outer race I.D. as well as clearances. Anyone know about this?

Randy
Old 5th October 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

You are right on track Randy, you need the shaft O.D. and race I.D to size the rollers. Oversize rollers are manufactured to achieve correct fit in worn races. If you can see obvious wear. scoring, pits, etc. the race must be lapped to remove these indications. Believe there is a special lap sold by Jims Machining for this, probably not cheap. Once lapped, the roller size is determined based on the measurements and clearance required. Strongly suggest you refer to the factory manual for this procedure.