The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Licks Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2010
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light
Default clicking noise from primary area---????

I'm getting a clicking kind of noise from the right side rear primary area. Sounds like a loose spoke but it is NOT a loose spoke. I had this noise before I went through the primary and re-did the clutch last summer. Everything looked great and I had no issues with reassembly. Clutch springs looked good but who knows, maybe one is weak and is slapping the other?

It does this cold and hot but mainly under load in all gears.

Primary chain is adjusted right. I can find anything loose on the outside of the case to cause the odd metallic clicking noise. It is not a slap or bang or hard hitting sound. Like paperclips dropping on the floor.

Any ideas. I can sort of hear this sound when I ride my 74 but it is not very noticeable.

Generator????
Old 24th August 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default A clicking from the generator is usually the sign of a bad connection...

...Always check the simple stuff first --- take a look at the electrical hookup(s) at the generator.
I had a similar noise with the Cycle Electric on MY '74 right before the connector snapped off due to a combination of a cheap wire caked with oil and bad vibration.
Old 24th August 2010
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

Ivan,

I picked over most of the "obvious" stuff that might jingle-jangle. I thought the primary chain might be loose, but it is not and the noise is not grinding or slapping. I can not "fell" the noise if I touch the primary to gas tank or fender or etc etc when riding. It sounds like a roller bearing is kicking around in the tranny or primary but it would have locked up long ago if that were the case.