The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
Get Lowered
DK Customs
Bison Motorsports
NHRS Performance

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sporster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
cu93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not Getting Gas!

Recently I took my tank(Fat Bob) off my 93 Sporty to do some cleaning and replace some hoses. Got tank back on and bike fired up and rode around block on a small amount of fuel. Sat for a couple days, fired back up up but sputtered out before I could make it to the gas station. Got it back to the house and got some gas in it but still wont start. Getting spark but after removing the H. charger and lookin in carb it doesnt look like im getting gas. Gas is flowin to carb but not in the carb. Wanted to know if Im missin something(vapor lock,hose,etc) before I go into this carb to see if maybe i sucked something in after moving my tank around and running it around the block suckin that gas off the bottom of the tank. No I didnt clean the tank like I should have before mounting it back on. Thanks for any input!
Old 1st September 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you know whats going on. Clean that tank and the carb and you'll be fine.
Old 1st September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

How much gas did you put back in the tank? If you only put a small amount in it, check the vacuum tube that runs from the carb to between the heads and make sure it didn't come loose. If that tube comes loose the tank will not empty completely. Usually you'll run out of gas with about 1/2 gallon left in the tank.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 1st September 2010
Biker

The vacuum tube running off the manifold?
Old 1st September 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

if the petcock vacuum tube comes off it wont matter how much gas you got in the tank, your not going anywhere. wtf are you talking about?
progressive suspension
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st September 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: CX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
a45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nicea45junkie is just really nice

is the float stuck shut? try rappin on the front or back of the floatbowl with a handle of a screwdriver. always works for me.
Old 1st September 2010
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a45junkie View Post
is the float stuck shut? try rappin on the front or back of the floatbowl with a handle of a screwdriver. always works for me.
That's what I was going to suggest. Getting to the carb is one thing.......getting IN the carb is another!

Stuff: YES
Old 1st September 2010
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

a45junkie... & BWP 5p...

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I was going to suggest. Getting to the carb is one thing.......getting IN the carb is another!
Me too! Tapping the float bowl is exactly where I would have gone, and for the benefit of the OP, that works when it's stuck open and puking fuel all over the place too.

I'm not sure if we have eliminated the vaccuum petcock yet, so the test there is to pull the fuel line and then use a hose to allow you to suck on the vaccuum port of the petcock so that it will flow fuel, and as you quit sucking on it, the fuel will stop.

Then, is the hose connected from there to the carb correctly? There is a screen filter on the petcock so it's unlikely that something big got in the fuel line unless you got something in while it was disconnected at the carb? Crud on the hose that could have fallen in to the carb fitting?

Then if tapping didn't do it, it's time to take that carb apart and take the needle apart and clean it and the seat area well. May as well look at the entire carb while it's out. No need for kits, just get it clean and make sure that the needle fits into the recess and moves easily, without binding due to any corrosion you may have missed.

Done deal, go riding worry free. *G*, as worry free as a Harley can get...

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 1st September 2010
Biker

a45junkie got it right! Took the carb off and took the bowl off and sure enough the float was stuck up. Needle was pinned in not allowing gas into the bowl. Some super fine sandpaper and cleaning out the rest while I was there and the scooter started right up! Thanks everyone for your input! Nice to have somewhere to go before you start throwin wrenches everywhere!