The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace.com
Speedway Instruments
S&S Cycle
Biltwell

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
lonerider1985 has disabled reputation
Default transmission oil

Have anyone herd of using 60 wt oil in the transmission ,?this was told to a friend that has a 1979 ih he was told to because the bike is so old ..and if this is true can this work for newer ih s
Old 3rd September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

older IH used same oil in trans as in motor because the two could mix.Don't think 79 had foo foo valve but not sure.
Old 3rd September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Ripp will become famous soon enoughRipp will become famous soon enoughRipp will become famous soon enoughRipp will become famous soon enoughRipp will become famous soon enoughRipp will become famous soon enough

I concur..I use 50 weight in both the motor and transmission on my 75.

I Fish therefore I Am
Old 3rd September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

The foofoo valve and the valve that causes some oil mix are two different ones. The foofoo if in the gearcase cover, the other is in the primary. 77 was first year for a foofoo, previous years had a timed breather setup. It is external for 77 & 78, then internal for 79-on.

There have been a few comments here recently that 60w is too heavy for the clutch, but that it is used in the engine in desert climates. Otherwise 50w in both.
Old 3rd September 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Ironheads older than 1976 have a transfer valve which allows engine oil and transmission to mix to a small extent.
For this reason all oils should be the same.
That oil is 60wt.

In 1977 the transfer valve was eliminated and the transmission venting system was changed.
New oil recommendations were issued for the 1977 and newer models, so follow those recommendations for these machines.
Under no circumstances use 60wt oil in a 1979 transmission.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd September 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default In older IHs, plug/weld the valve shut & run Formula Plus...

...trans/primary fluid from H-D instead of motor oil.
You'll notice a HUGE difference in ease of engagement and a more positive feel at the lever.
Motor oil in the primary was adequate back when there was nothing else.

Between the Formula Plus, a Tamer II, and Machinist Mike's HydroClutch kit I now have a true two-finger clutch on my '74 that's pure butter.

It's called PROGRESS.
Old 3rd September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
... 60w is too heavy for the clutch ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
That oil is 60wt ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan RoachCoach View Post
...trans/primary fluid from H-D ...
... and do not ever, ever expect all of us to agree. Read all the opinions, get all the tech info you can, then make your own decision.
Old 3rd September 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

And just for the record, and to either help you make your decision or perhaps confuse you more.......
I would never remove or block the transfer valve in a 1974 model (the OP is talking about a 1979 or newer model?) nor would I ever use anything but engine oil in a 1974 myself.

On a 1979 or newer I might use ATF but a better choice in my view is to use Harley Transmission lube.
pg
Old 3rd September 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Davidson FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Derek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enoughDerek43WLC will become famous soon enough

I tend to think "what worked then, should work now".
Stick to what the old ID's are use to
Sure, time change, advancements in lubes and oils... but, sometimes adding any modern lubes/oils may make them run better but may also have some unwanted side-affects later on.
IMO
Dee
Old 3rd September 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
And just for the record, and to either help you make your decision or perhaps confuse you more.......
I would never remove or block the transfer valve in a 1974 model (the OP is talking about a 1979 or newer model?) nor would I ever use anything but engine oil in a 1974 myself.

On a 1979 or newer I might use ATF but a better choice in my view is to use Harley Transmission lube.
pg
Why do you mention a 1974? What is special about a 1974?
Know Thy Hog