The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Superbrace.com
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches
Zippers Performance

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1963
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1960
plucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura about
Default 63 XLCH Build

This is a 63 XLCH that I picked up to build. Story is it was raced as a tt bike through the late 60' in the Carolinas by Ed Russell. Anyone know who Ed is? I thought maybe Don Tilley may know, anyway. The generator was cut off and I have a right side case to fix that. The bike has XLRTT shocks, XLR pipes and I think the rear brake was KRTT 416610-54R. Cylinders are drilled and the engine had a few other mods. Will see how this goes, enjoy.

Alloy tree

Old 3rd September 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
jprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura aboutjprice has a spectacular aura about

wow.
I was gonna say just take off the bar-codes and the passenger pad, and you're good to go.
But it looks like you've already tore into it pretty good.
Will be fun to see the build progress...
Old 3rd September 2010
Greasemonkey

plucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura aboutplucinskid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
wow.
I was gonna say just take off the bar-codes and the passenger pad, and you're good to go.
But it looks like you've already tore into it pretty good.
Will be fun to see the build progress...
It's not as nice as the pics look. This thing was covered in oil but fun to ride.
Old 3rd September 2010
Biker

Other Motorcycle Model: Gold Wing
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
XLCH65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting the pixs. I'm curious if drilling the jugs like that really does anything to improve cooling?
Jim
Old 3rd September 2010
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLCH65 View Post
Thanks for posting the pixs. I'm curious if drilling the jugs like that really does anything to improve cooling?
Jim
I think it was more about cutting weight.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd September 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Looking at your pics the bike seems to be pretty much as original.
I used to ride a 1962 XLCH in TT racing back in the early 1960's myself. I never hear of Ed Russel, but he was most likely not a National level rider.

The bike's oil tank is original, as is the primary cover, the gas tank and most of the other equipment I see.

What is not original is the front hub. This hub has a part number of 44422-64 and was found on 1964 and newer machines. The correct hub for your 1963 would have been 43601-52.
Most likely the entire wheel is off a newer than 1963 model.

Also, on a machine that was a serious TT machine you will find the Fairbanks-Morse magneto mounted where the generator sits up front.
This freed up the current location where your mag sits to attach a tach drive for a tachometer.
Here is a pic of my old 1955 KR that I ran on oval dirt tracks. It shows this drive........

Both tires appear to be Firestone A&S. These would be sizes of 4.00-18 on the rear and 4.00-19 on the front.
The A&S were the standard tires used on half mile dirt tracks and TT tracks back in the day.
Pirelli tires came into use around 1964 or so but until then A&S ruled. So your tires are what was used back then for certain.

Your seat is not the original. The original solo had a 2 rod plunger seat from the factory. The plungers went down into the frame tubes with double springs on the bottom.

You have a really fine looking bike there and I would love to own it myself. I hope you bring it back looking like when you got it because that (save for the tail light) is the way it should look.
Thanks for posting the fine pics of a very fine bike.
pg
Old 3rd September 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Nice project.
What cams are in it?
Old 22nd September 2010
Greasemonkey

Well I have spent the last few weeks refinishing or rebuilding just about everything and sourcing parts. Pics are of what I did tonight. I had another case so I matched them up and soda blasted them but I will keep the orig right side case that had the genny mount hacked off. I have some head work to do but this one should start coming together pretty fast. Decided to keep the engine raw and top end alloy color because as you will see this is an all business machine very much like a bike I have already built but I want to see what I can do with different finishes.

Old 22nd September 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Wooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of light

Man I would have tried to keep it as close to as it was. But what you've done looks good. Bet you could contact the AMA and find out more about the previous owne/rider in Carolina
Old 22nd September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Beautiful work. You are an artist!
Know Thy Hog