The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Licks Holiday
NRHS Performance Long 2
Motor Stage
Bison Motorsports

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Big_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enough
Default Swingarm Bearings

I can't get the bearing lock nut nut (as it's called in the manual) off of my swingarm. I can turn the pin wrench about 180 degrees, then it stops. Does the whole thing unscrew like a bolt or does it just turn one direction (like it's unlocking) then I knock it out? I don't want to go pressing it out and screw up some threads. Here are the actual instructions in the manual regarding the nut "With a punch turn out bearing lock nut and remove pivot bolt nut". Thanks.
Old 10th September 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
RcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura about

I had the same problem on my '81 when I rebuilt it. The shop manual recommends staking the edge of the lock nut after it is installed. This peens the threads and doesn't allow for it to be removed. There are several approaches. You can grind or drill the peens so that the disrupted part of the thread is removed or you can do what I did. I cut a pie shaped sections out of the locking ring with a dremel tool and cut off wheel. I then took it out in pieces. The trick is not to damage the swing arm threads. I "chased" ( cleaned up ) the threads with a dremel tool and a small cutoff wheel ( very carefully and with a lot of patience ) and installed a new lock nut ring from JP cycles. I bought the entire rebuild kit that included the bearings etc.
Old 10th September 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Big_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enoughBig_e78 will become famous soon enough

Good call. Never thought about cutting it like that... Hopefully I can just buy the nut.