The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Bison Motorsports
Licks Holiday
Speedway Instruments
Fix My Hog

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Short Shots are really bad pipes. As mentioned, the Side Shots are 20% better, good slip-ons and stock headers can be as much as 50% better than Short Shots, and a good 2:1 system can be 100% or more better. On an 883, 5 HP is a HUGE difference from one pipe to another. That's 10% of your original power, which usually takes A/C, tuner, AND pipes to achieve. If you see that much difference between two pipes, take the better of them, and brag it up, as those are some screamingly good pipes!
Old 10th September 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I have one of the First sets of Side Shots that came off of the assembly line at V&H. My bike was just a few weeks old when they were released. I live about 10 miles from V&H. I made my choice on looks (I was not a member of the forum yet) I'm glad they were a good choice cause I still love them. I'll be changing to the quiet baffles to keep the gov off my back. I suppose that will require me to tune the carb. Rocketman, I'll be contacting you soon for assistance.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 10th September 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

side shots= good

short shots= bad

The difference is the power chambers. V&H makes several good pipes with the chambers. If you want to get V&H pipes make sure you get a set with the power chmabers. They are definately worth the extra cost.
www.nrhsperformance.com

AMA 1350cc M-PG record holder @167.452 mph.
faster than the BNI record too.
Old 10th September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2010
aussie xl 1200c 2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank for the help guys
Old 10th September 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie xl 1200c 2010 View Post
i have a 2010 sporster custom i have vance and hince short shots i have no air cleaner or tune yet. i have rang up a place and they said that the pipes i have on r no good and they cant and wont tune my bike with these pipes on they where trying to sell me slip ons. i know these pipe are not the best peformers but if where talking about only 5hp or somthing i happy to keep pipes i really dont wont to change my pipes but if there really that bad i might have to

ps first post to this forum

by the way what is the time over there
started with SE slip ons ,then removed the baffles and drilled them..then went to short shots on my nightster and loved them ..combined with an arlen ness big sucker2 its was a great combo..would pull like crazy in any gear,and low rpm torque was just stupid couldnt lug it if i tried..BUT they are loud so if you dont like loud pipes stay away from them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sporster XL Cuxtom
pin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the roughpin-hi is a jewel in the rough
Default I like my V&H short shots

I went with Vance and Hines short shots on my 1200 Sportster trike as they were a perfect fit to allow clearance for the rear axle and rear tire set up. They sound great, look great and I have had no performance problems with them at all. Seems to be some V&H haters but I wonder why as in the research I did, they seem to make quality pipes. I have yet to get pulled over for them being too loud, but if I do I might opt for the quieter baffles. OOpppps...mines an '06 carburated model...

Last edited by pin-hi; 10th September 2010 at 21:44.. Reason: 06 in an 07 thread
Old 10th September 2010
Epic Eric

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute07XL1200c has a reputation beyond repute

I dont like the short shots at all from a performance side and with them being so short that they burned the protective coating of the rear pulley and discolored it.
Old 11th September 2010
Biker

so what would be the best set of pipes or slip ons to get but i dont want to get 2 into 1 coz i really dont like the look and sound i still want somthing loud and what sound tuff and looks good

ps does any want buy my vance and hince short shots chrome only been on bike for one mouth
Old 11th September 2010
Biker

what do you guys think of hooker trouble makers
Old 11th September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Shadow VT750C
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
BlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura aboutBlueMoonSally has a spectacular aura about

ummm who cares about HP... the short shots are the best sounding ones I have seen... the optics are good... The only thing I do not like is the exhaust blowing right on my pully and turning it gold and then black...
Know Thy Hog