The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk Sleek, fast and cool. Discuss your Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Figure Machine
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
Biltwell

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2010
Biker

Banjoprat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Get More Power Out of a Sportster 883

I've been riding my Sporty for 12 years and I'm quite happy with it, but I'd like to get more power without expendid thousands of Dollars (Euros ,I'm in spain).
I have several bikes and I had rode a bunch of diferent bikes, for my the best engines that I have rode in terms of feeling, power,torque are the BMW boxer and the Guzzi850. I'm sure the the most of answers would be to convert it to 883 to 1200 but I think that a 883 cc engine is bike enough just that the sporty engine is not working in it's 100 per 100.
The bike is fitted with a S&S Carb. What else could I to improve it?
If it's cheap better
Old 11th September 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

If power is what you are after then a 1200 conversion is probably the best dollar-per HP thing you can do, especially if the bike has a lot of wear on the engine. As much as I like my 883 as-is, if it were more power I was after i would have to revert back to the ol "There's no replacement for displacement" rule. Japanese engines are an exception but that's another story.
If you are just trying to get a little more power I would look at things like your Air cleaner and exhaust. Are they still stock?..Is the air filter dirty?
A free flowing air cleaner and a set of decent slip on mufflers will be the best place to start if the AC and mufflers are stock.
If it isn't stock...is the setup matched?...is your bike tuned for this setup?
A proper tune is essential for getting the most power out of a given engine.
Another thing to consider is reducing the bike's weight if possible.
You say it's not "in it's 100"...have you noticed a power LOSS from before?
A compression check might be a good place to start to see what direction you want to go.

Last edited by jimmyess333; 11th September 2010 at 04:01..
Old 11th September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the tear drop air box with your S&S carb it cannot be beat as far as performance goes. Stick with it. If it does not have a K&N air filter upgrade to one.

You could open up your exhaust system some. Probably the best and most inexpensive way is to remove the baffles (if you don't like loud, you can drill holes in them and re-install them) and install a gronk type mod:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=247790

Afterwards you may have to adjust/re-jet your carb. Here are some instructions for doing that:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=889015

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 11th September 2010
Biker

Banjoprat is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm quite sure that the Carb isn't well set up, more Back fireing than the usual.
The bike is fitted with a "trumpet" mufflers.
But are to loud and I'm thinking to get something a bit quieter.
Old 11th September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoprat View Post
I'm quite sure that the Carb isn't well set up, more Back fireing than the usual.
The bike is fitted with a "trumpet" mufflers.
But are to loud and I'm thinking to get something a bit quieter.
If you don't think that the carb is set up correctly just follow the instructions that I linked to. Set the carb back to it's factory settings as explained re-adjust the carb. When you think you have it right, take the bike out (along with a screwdriver) and warm it up for a half hour or so and then do minor adjustments until you have it the way you like it.

If you want performance get a set of 2-1 pipes but, they ain't cheap. If you want to keep the cost down check out ebay and get a set of stock pipes (those will normally be selling for the least) and modify them as I said in my previous post. Or get a set of drag pipes and add some small baffles or do the gronk mod that I linked to on my previous post.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th September 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

Does the bike still has the exhaust crossover pipe? Most people think it's ugly, but it does help to spread the torque. True 2 in 2 exhausts loose some torque right at the rpm you ride the bike the most.
Do an ebay search for a set of stock headers and pipes. You can find the whole set for 100euros or just the stock mufflers for 50euros.
Old 11th September 2010
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm sure the the most of answers would be to convert it to 883 to 1200
That's the most power per dollar (Euro), but what ever you do it has to be tuned correctly.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 11th September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

1200 kit, IMO is the third best dollar for dollar. K&N filter + used cycleshack slipons should be good for a 10hp boost from stock. That's assuming it is tuned properly and you ride above 3000RPM. A plain 1200 kit should net you a similar 10hp over stock, except with more torque lower in the RPM band. I payed around $300 for a new AC used slipons. It would have cost me around $800 to do the 1200 conversion (back in '99). You can do either first, but if you are strapped for cash, you should be able to do the AC and exhaust for cheap. They will come in handy for the 1200 kit later if you still want one.

On a side note, the crossover tube on some sportsters sticks way out into the header, which could significantly reduce airflow. Also, I did notice a hole in my lower powerband when switching to less restrictive mufflers.
Old 18th September 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

I did the 50 HP stuff first as I did this I got 63 Hp at 1200cc when I got the jetting right
Old 18th September 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R /1425
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
KRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the roughKRTT Clone is a jewel in the rough

cams,cams,cams,and cams!

oh and cams!
Know Thy Hog