The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Get Lowered
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace.com
Burly

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
corad is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Ironhead Parts and Accessories

where can you get parts and accessories for Ironheads? I have a 1980 XLH 1000 are parts pretty scarce any help would be appreciated. :thinkbeer
Old 1st July 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: 49WL, 91FXSTC,97FLSTC>>>
BobboJama is an unknown quantity at this point

V-Twin (Ted's Cycle) is about it.... The have everything needed to to keep your Ironhead on the road. Check with your local non-stealership Harley shop, and ask to browse there catalog. Anything new or innovative is going to be hard to find.... I make a lot of my own stuff for that reason...
Old 1st July 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

I too have a 1980. I found everything that i needed on eBay - complete original exhaust, original A/C, decals, cables. Some stuff i was able to get locally at inde shops - generator end cap, front brake rotors at only $46.00 each, the cool looking chrome oil cooler to mount on the down tubes, replacement for broken part of forward controls, K&N filter, cables, brake pads, oil filters. At the HD dealer they always gave me a hard time about my "obsolete" bike, but still found stuff in the aftermarket catalogs. They stock the oil filter - it is used commonly on other models too.

In my experience everything is easily available either from eBay or from a standard catalog, or from HD or from J&P Cycles etc.

My anticicpation is that even in another 25 years all the parts you will need will still be available. There are lots of these bikes out there and people like us who want to keep them going.
Old 1st July 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: 49WL, 91FXSTC,97FLSTC>>>
BobboJama is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me reiterate, Wholesale distributers... Drag, Custom Chrome, Midwest, Mid-USA, Chrome Specialities, Dixie Distrubting ETC. are carrieing less and less Ironhead parts with every catalog issued. This will eventually trickle down to the little local shops, and the retail catalog distributors like JP Cycles.. Hard parts like crank pins, pinion and sprocket shafts, Cylinders, Heads, etc. that are Sportster Specific are getting harder to find. Items like calipers, rotors, Air and oil filters, etc. that also fit Big Twins are available because they fit Big Twins... Try to find a NEW clutch basket for a late 70s early 80s XL... Real hard to find...

E-Bay is an excellent resource. I've picked up some real nice OEM restoration goodies, some questionable quality after market stuff that could be reworked and some real good AM parts, and tons of used parts that have proven worth rebuilding.

V-Twin Has just about everything you need for the Ironhead, but they only sell through dealer and aftermarket shops... Most Stealerships will not admit they do business with V-Twin.
Old 1st July 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Check J&P's Vintage catalog, there are parts they don't list in the regular catalog
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st July 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Fisherman is an unknown quantity at this point

All V-Twin parts can be ordered through ZOOM Cycle:
www.zoomcycleLLC.com
ZoomCycle@aol.com
Toll Free: 1-888-316-1994
Fax: 1-888-658-7150

I ordered their free catalog (1600 pages, 287 Sporty pages). It came in about 10 days with a price list & order form.
Old 6th July 2005
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

We are NOT obsolete, were CLASSIC`S
Old 6th July 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Old Sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 71
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy lowered with 18 in
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Max Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the roughMax Throttle is a jewel in the rough

i use the J&P vintage catalogue, so far no backorders or unavailable items but time will tell

i appreciate the info given here also, saved the link to zoom cycle
Old 6th July 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha YZ 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jon686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I found this thread, I am starting to think about my basket case 79 and needed the info.
Old 6th July 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

Here's a good link........... http://www.sportyspecialties.com/