The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Superbrace.com
Licks Holiday
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Doc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura about
Default Push rod or Tappit noise?

I'm still getting used to my 72, with all its noises, so take this with a grain of salt.
The indy just adjust my push rods but the front set sounds louder than the rear. A ticking sound.
Should I expect this noise or should they be adjusted again.
It runs fine with no problems.
Thanks
Old 17th September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

There should be a ticking sound, especially if they are adjusted on the loose side of the spec. If you follow the instructions in the Sticky, and listen with a mechanics stethoscope, the exhausts will tick a little louder then the intakes.

Take a read thru the Sticky. You can check the pushrod adjustment without changing anything. It would be a good idea to do this yourself. Then next time you would be ready to do the adjustment yourself.

Ironhead Push Rod Adjustment
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=44143
Old 17th September 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Why did you have them adjusted in the first place?
Old 17th September 2010
Land Speed Record

Location: mostley at home sometimes in the garage next to my sporty..
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883..
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
chief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of light

ironheads (ih/ih's) are loud and noisy M.Fers.. and i'm not talking exhaust sounds..
rule of the thumb is: direct after adjusting the pushrods must sound the same.
after some driving they will sound slightly different from each other.
mostly it seems like the rear is loudest(just a tiny little bit). with the ticking sound that is..

go to the stickeys they are marked in red, and see how you can adjust the pushrodes yourself. it's an easy job, and the way as mentioned over there is far better than by the HD maintenance book.

edit.. ironmick chimed in.."the guru"..so i was too late..
CTFS
Old 17th September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
nativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nice

Man, makes me whonder what stereo sound sounds like.
I'm envous. Trying to hear all that in one ear.
ShadowDog500's vidoe on you tube is a good reminder as to visual procedures as well.

NBF

Old 18th September 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Doc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura aboutDoc o has a spectacular aura about

I should have said that I had them checked and adjusted if needed.
I have seen the sticky on adjusting and since it's raining the next couple of days it sound like a good time to do it. I guess I can start with the front just to see if they realy were adjusted.
Thanks fellas.
Old 18th September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

There's nothing much easier than adjusting the tappets on an IH. Trying to figure out how to get the tubes open and closed again is an experience the first time, but other than that, it's a cake walk.
Old 18th September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

One thing to remember, if adjustment is needed, is that the split locknuts do not have to be really really tight. I think about 10 ft lbs or firm plus a little more will do it. They should be tight but not cranked on.

If they were last done by a tech who was not familiar with ironheads they may be too tight and will have to be loosened up carefully. I had to use a needle nose locking plier with the 7/16" wrench on one set.
Old 18th September 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
darwin-t is on a distinguished roaddarwin-t is on a distinguished roaddarwin-t is on a distinguished roaddarwin-t is on a distinguished road

As long as we're on the subject, what IS the easiest way to get those keeper off and get them centered when put back on?
Old 18th September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

There is the spring retainer [full round piece, fits over the spring] and the spring keeper [half round, holds the retainer down]. I presume you are asking about the keeper.

I use a flat blade screwdriver, insert it into the loop, and give it a twist. They just pop out. If they do not then i push down on the retainer with an open end 3/4" wrench and apply the s-driver.

To insert i insert the keeper top end first, and pry it into place with the same flat blade screwdriver.

The problem i have installing the keeper is that for the front intake [rear intake on my previous bike] the retainer tilts as i am pressing down on it, then it catches on one of the cooling fins, and will not move. To solve that i slide the lid of a plastic yogurt container [with the edge trimmed off] between the p-rod and the fins. Then everything just slides into place.

Then remove the plastic, eh.
Know Thy Hog