The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Biltwell
CV Performance
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold
Default S&S Super E

I know this has been answered many times but my buddy got a new S&S and said it came with 2 sets of jets.Out of carb he has .265 -68 now what he put in he don't remember but said it was what came with carb.He said both ran rich but said he didn't really know much about carb setup.So i'm gonna try and help with Y'alls help.from what I've read on here the .265-68 is really what he should be running.It's a 80XL.He said the other jets # was in book but I can't find it.So I'm hoping for some help for this is new to me also.
Old 21st September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Here's what you want to print out, read, and take with you when you set the carb up. Probably want to start with the .265-68 jets, then set all of the adjustments back to the factory settings and follow the directions. When you've got it as close as possible take it for a ride along with a screw driver. After it's well warmed up (30 minutes) use the screw driver to make an fine adjustments.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=1877

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes

Last edited by jharback; 21st September 2010 at 12:14.. Reason: Left off the link.
Old 21st September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

S&S Super E & G Carburetor Tuning guide
http://www.sscycle.com/feature/featureview.php?s_id=11
Old 21st September 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Here's a back-to-baseline-settings guide that reads a little simpler...

...than the factory S&S manual:

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=1877
Old 21st September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

Note - you can't tune it in the driveway.
You can get it close enough to take out and ride, then the tuning begins.
The motor must be fully warmed up (not idling, ride it!).
Set the idle speed & mixture first. (and every time any change is made)
Then the low speed
Then the main

The fuel circuits overlap somewhat and are cumulative so you have to start off right or you will get lost.

Ignition timing changes will affect the carb settings so do that first.

Most open exhaust systems will create a tuning nightmare, unless you are happy with close enough.

Old 21st September 2010

ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, this guy is the son of one my riding and working partners that has went on to ride threw the pearlie gates.He lives within 1/8 mi of me and has a ironhead how cool is that.He tried giving me his old bendix last nite but I wouldn't take.With your guys help I'm gonna put this young man well he's 51 but anywall we'll gonna master this S&S Hell you never know maybe I could get the ole lady to get me one.
Old 16th March 2012

Well he gave his bendix tonite are I should say I went and got it.So I need to know how do I set it up for my 74?
In my other post you'll see I was having a problem with needle valve are float so I decided if I was gonna redo one I'd do his so I'd have a adjustable main.His also had the VOES on it.PG step in here.
Also he says the E is still running rich on his bikeSo I guess I'll have to ride with him and see if we can't fine tune it better.
Old 17th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
T. Clark is on a distinguished roadT. Clark is on a distinguished roadT. Clark is on a distinguished road

Where is the Super E running rich? If it is in the mid range it would be where the low and high circuits overlap and will need to be corrected with a different air jet. The standard #40 was way too rich for my bike. S&S supply a kit of different size air jets for correcting the overlap. I ended up running a #56, took a lot of experimenting but it was worth it. Then I swapped the exhaust for original headers with crossover and had to down size to a #48. The increase in mid range torque was unbelievable.
Old 20th March 2012

Hey TC thanks for the heads up on that problem.I'm leaning toward the fact that he is lugging it.I haven't rode it yet myself but knowing him I think that's were the problem is.