The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Burly
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Get Lowered

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
prayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enough
Default Bell Custom 500 Helmet

Here's my review of my Custom 500 helmet. As a disclaimer, all I have for comparison is the Biltwell helmet I had previously. I'm new to riding and to motorcycle helmets in general.

I had a Biltwell helmet and I really liked it cause of the low profile design and old school looks. I felt like some DOT helmets look too bobblehead for my taste. I started riding on the freeway extensively and felt I needed something relatively safer so I picked up a silver flake Bell Custom 500.

My first impression is that this is a well made helmet. It feels protective yet light. The profile isnt as low as a Biltwell but it's close. The inside lining is well made, and the straps seem good too. Wind noise isnt really a factor for me since I use ear plugs while riding.

One thing I noticed different was that when I wore my Biltwell on the freeway, it felt like the wind was just rushing under my forehead through the soft lining and trying really hard to rip it off my head. This happened no matter how tight I tied the strap. I had to constantly fight it with my neck as I rode. The Bell pretty much eliminates this. Probably cause of the actual crash absorbing lining.

I've included pics of the helmet plus a picture of me wearing the Blue Flake Biltwell and Silver Flake Bell for size comparison. The bandanna is for your guys' benefit so you don't have to see my ugly mug!

That's about it, any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Old 21st September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

That Bell looks awesome. I get my "stunt" Bell next week.

Thanks for the pics bro.
Old 13th October 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHT Electra Glide Stand.
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
celtic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really niceceltic is just really nice

How did you find the sizing?
For instance, I measure my pinhead and it looks like I should buy a small, (22"); how did you find your size as compared to your measured size?

for reference; this is what Bell states:
21 5/8" - 22"-----------Small

Thanks!
Old 14th October 2010
Biker

prayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enoughprayinghands will become famous soon enough

i was measured by the employee at Cycle Center. We measured in centimeters and came up with 54cm which is the limit of Size Small according to Bell. I was hesitant to get a small at first but im glad I did because it fits really comfortably especially after breaking it in.
Old 27th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
cpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud of

looks like they are coming out with a black and a gold metal flake in November!
http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/custom500.html
here are my 2 helmets with some pin striping done on them!

Old 2nd November 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883n
malingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura aboutmalingerer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpracing519 View Post
looks like they are coming out with a black and a gold metal flake in November!
http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/custom500.html
here are my 2 helmets with some pin striping done on them!
Those are two nice looking helmets.Real nice stripping.I really didnt care for the Bell custom 500 .Sent mine back to Motorcycle super store.Felt my Fulmer V2 fit better and looked lower profile.Although the liner in the Bell was nicer.
Old 14th November 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883, Black
dewrew is on a distinguished roaddewrew is on a distinguished road

How hard were the bell stickers to get off?
Old 14th November 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster rigid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
hasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura about

Got a 500 myself nice hemet!! the biltwell are not dot if I am correct? Stickers come right off. I left the DOT on mine to keep the cops off my back.
Old 16th November 2010
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewrew View Post
How hard were the bell stickers to get off?
stickers come right off
Old 1st February 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Jimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really niceJimbo13 is just really nice

Quote:
How did you find the sizing?
For instance, I measure my pinhead and it looks like I should buy a small, (22"); how did you find your size as compared to your measured size?

for reference; this is what Bell states:
21 5/8" - 22"-----------Small
My head measures approx 22 3/4, and I usually wear a size 7 1/8-7 1/4 hat.
Based on the measurement (always measure first), I ordered a medium. When I wore it on the first day for an extended period of time, it felt tight (it should). By the end of the day, it 'broke in' for my head shape and now is really comfortable. I wanted something pretty visible in traffic, but not too crazy, so I got the silver flake. Nice helmet!

Jim
Know Thy Hog