The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace

Superbrace
Tags
cam bearing, mainshaft, roller race, splitting cases

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 72, XLH 75
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Sportster/Buell Model #2: AJS Mod 31, Norton 850,
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
ATC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To split or not to split?

Bought a 72 incomplete restoration. Mainshaft roller race has surface rust. Should I hone out and use oversize rollers or press in new? Cost about the same.

2 of the 4 camshaft roller bearings are siezed. Can these be replaced without splitting the cases?

Perhaps the question really is should I trust the pevious builders?- rust + siezed rollers = water +oxygen not good! Cases together are clean and feels tight and nice. Should I split and look? Never touched a harley before but wanted to build a RHS gear Ironhead bobber.
Old 22nd September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

I would split the cases and do the job right. You don't know what other rust might be in there. And if you replace the timing cover cam bushings as well, the cases need to be split to use the RH case to guide the reamer in square, unless yo have a spare RH case to use as a jig.
Old 22nd September 2010
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of lightchevelle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
Bought a 72 incomplete restoration. Mainshaft roller race has surface rust. Should I hone out and use oversize rollers or press in new? Cost about the same.

2 of the 4 camshaft roller bearings are siezed. Can these be replaced without splitting the cases?

Perhaps the question really is should I trust the pevious builders?- rust + siezed rollers = water +oxygen not good! Cases together are clean and feels tight and nice. Should I split and look? Never touched a harley before but wanted to build a RHS gear Ironhead bobber.
I would clean it up and do a quick brake hone job just to see how bad it really is or is the race severely pitted?
Old 22nd September 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

If your heart is in it, I say pull 'em apart and do it all. If you lack at least some mechanical skills, you may wanna have a reputable mechanic do it. Splitting cases can lead to splitting head aches! And there are the tools. Without such it is futile.
Old 22nd September 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

It's a tough call, but if you have some skills and since it sounds as if the tranny is already out, you might consider splitting them.

Do the connecting rods move freely and smoothly? When you say everything is nice and tight, are you referring to rods? If there is no up and down movement, you can probably get away with assembly.

Of course that's the rub--"probably."

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd September 2010
Biker

All bearings, end play etc, good on the crank. On an old BSA single I would not bother smack togethr and give a couple of rapid oil changes and all OK. Not so for a later Norton twin as these engines run a tighter tolerance. Finding out about ironheads right now.

Cam bushes OK, might replace the big one for the crankshaft end. Do not know S... about HD's never seen one open til now and this came almost ready for rebuilding in 6 boxes. Mostly good but just cant work out why 2 of the cam rollers are siezed- look ok but do not move, soaked in solvent and oil mix but still no move!. Cams look great so I fear rust due to bad storage. Never seen one siezing before not typical for this sort of bearing

No probs with the skill level but working only from exploded diagrams from part listing sheets. What special tools would I need over the basic, I have years of experience on a range of brit iron. Guess there might be a link on this site that describes splitting the cases - can you send me a link.

Thanks for your help
Old 23rd September 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
jagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enoughjagdprcp will become famous soon enough

It is really a question of how comfortable are with what the previous owner did? Personally, I don't trust too many other people with my motor.

Is this something that you just plan to put together and then sell? Or do you plan to keep it?

If you do split the cases you'll know how well it gets put back together. You may get lucky and find that there is nothing wrong and it can be put together with peace of mind. But you may also find something that could have been catastrophic.

Side note: This is post 666 for me... Feeling kinda evil... <EG>
Old 20th June 2011
Biker

Default I split

"new" main bearing was BAD. Looks like the previous builder used a heavy bluntish instrument to hammer home - is now concentric. Total rebuld now finished. Why the *** did this guy block off the case vent???

Thanks for thereplies and sorry for the tardy response
Old 20th June 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the tardy response
Just 9 months late.
You may want to start a new thread.
pg