The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
Licks Holiday
Progressive Suspension
Burly
Energy One Clutches

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1460 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Smokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura about
Default Oil light flickers 1989

I am having some trouble with an oil light flickering and it stays on some times at idle with a hot motor. It always goes off above 1000 rpm or if you even touch the throttle.
I have checked for flow to the pump and have good return to the tank. There is a new low pressure switch. All the lines are clear. I have inspected the spring and check ball in the filter housing. We even replaced the oil pump with a new OEM pump. The light still flickers. WTF? What am I missing?
Anyone else got an opinion?

Road assistance on the list
and my homepage too!
Old 26th September 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
nmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud of

Best suggestion is to get an actual oil pressure guage that will screw into where the oil sending unit (oil pressure switch) goes, and read the real pressure.
When I carry a gun, I donít do so because Iím looking for a fight, but
because Iím looking to be left alone. - Marko Kloos

XLF Road Help [URL]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=670716[/URL]

My recent accident [URL]http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=4397043#poststop[/URL]
Old 26th September 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

If oil pressure is good, you could have a shorting wire, loose blub or the as has happened to me one time the idiot light panel came loose and was causing my lights to flicker, but that does not seem likely since your are only getting just the oil light I would venture as a loose bulb or a shorting wire.
Old 4th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Fat Deuce and Fat Boy
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Streetglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
unionthug is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Likely the switch is bad, toss it out and get a gauge.
Old 5th October 2010
Harley Engineer

Smokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura aboutSmokin Sam has a spectacular aura about

So I got it figured. Inside the oil filter housing is a steel threaded insert that the filter screws on to. It comes out and there is a "ball and spring" set up that controls the pressure to the switch. A couple of things can happen. The plastic ball can get a groove pounded into it, the spring can sac out or it is possible to install it all backwards and have it "kinda work" as the threads are identical on both sides of the threaded insert. The hole is different on each end.
Yes a pressure guage and a double coupler so you can see where the switch trips helps.
In this case the ball and the spring were sacked. Once replaced it was good to go.
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th October 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH a red one...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: 78 Superglide, 97 Dyna
richard58 is an unknown quantity at this point

U might have the motor idling too slow also....
Old 8th October 2010
Harley Engineer

A good point. Book says 1000rpm. That seems a little high. I like around 900.