The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lowbrow Customs
Sky Smith Insurance
Energy One Clutches
Speedway Instruments

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: AMF XLS Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
MN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Headlight question

Anyone know the wattage of these ?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

My low beam went out on my '81, and since a current sportster's light is the same diameter, figured I'd check into it.
My indie has one of these in stock, and there's room for it in the bucket, but I forgot to ask him how many watts it puts out.

Picking up tomorrow, at a MUCH lower price than this ridiculous one.
Old 24th September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Most of the OEM headlights run around 55/60 watts to be legal. People fit higher wattage bulbs but it's not recommended for our older charging systems.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 24th September 2010

MN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
Most of the OEM headlights run around 55/60 watts to be legal. People fit higher wattage bulbs but it's not recommended for our older charging systems.

Eric

Thanks. I want to keep at stock wattage, or close to it for the genny, so 55/60 would work.
Old 24th September 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
V1custom is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you update your charging system go with the stock

ride safe

Eric

Last edited by xena; 1st October 2010 at 11:18.. Reason: removed business web site address from post
Old 24th September 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

I have the Candlepower headlamps on both of my Ironheads, using normal H-4 bulbs of 55/60 watts. No problems in over 10,000 miles of combined mileage so far. Much better lighting than a stock sealed beam headlight.

Eric
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
I have the Candlepower headlamps on both of my Ironheads, using normal H-4 bulbs of 55/60 watts. No problems in over 10,000 miles of combined mileage so far. Much better lighting than a stock sealed beam headlight.

Eric
Yeah the stock suck. I'm going to get the HD one my Indy has; great shop and I like to support them when possible.

They told me their best source of customers is the local HD dealer, lol
Old 26th September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road

i got one off v twin for 35 dollars for my 81. works fine. knock on wood.
Old 26th September 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough

go to your local auto zone and get a 5066 sylvainia or GE for 9.99 ,55 watts i think even walmart sells them, my last one lasted from 1993 till 2010
Old 26th September 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough

check that its an H-5006 sylvainia or GE, halagen head lamp bulb, i had to go look it up, fits like a glove is alot cheaper and lasts a long time.