The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Figure Machine
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Enfield
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
RGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the roughRGT is a jewel in the rough
Default '77 transmission thrust washer thicknesses

I putting my transmission back together and into the bike and I would like to know what the thicknesses of the Main Shaft Thrust Washer, the Main Shaft Third Gear Washer, and the Main Shaft Roller Bearing Washer are. I have various washers that came with the bike, some new some old. I put the bike together without the Main Shaft Thrust Washer by mistake and had too much main shaft end play, .018" instead of the .003"-.009" spec'd in the book. When I took it back apart I realized my mistake, but the only washer I have that fits that spot is .040, I did try this but find that my main shaft and clutch shaft bind and can no longer spin freely if I try and tighten down the cover, I see there are 2 Main Shaft Thrust Washers, the one with the tab that goes alongside the main shaft 1st/low gear is easy to identify so I think that one is ok, its the one that fits up against 4th gear that the main shaft bottoms out against that I measured at .040"....
Old 27th September 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

they come if different sizes so you can get the proper spacing between gears and endplay. one of the thrust washers will go on the outside of the trans behind the sprocket and between the circlip and bearings. if ya forget that one it will mess up the mainshaft, bearings and race at least.