The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
Dead Creek Cycles
Licks Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
Get Lowered

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 Ironhead
SlmLrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KNocking from primary

(1981 Ironhead fresh build) I have a knocking sound coming from the front of my primary at idle. In gear when riding, it doesn't get louder, but is mostly noticeable at an idle. I took the primary off and am wondering what the sound might be.

My manual isn't very clear on the chain tightening process. I tightened the spring adjuster nut on the outside of the case, but it didn't do much.

Any suggestions? All looks to be tight and clearances seem ok inside the case.
Old 28th September 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

A tiny movement of that adjuster and you can see the primary chain move. If you adjusted the primary chain adjuster on the bottom of the case with no effect then the adjuster mechanism is broken. Post some pics of the inside of the primary case, especially of the adjuster mechanism.

When mine broke i had steel pieces in there. Fortunately they stayed on the bottom.
Old 28th September 2010
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of lightFerrous Head is a glorious beacon of light

If you can't see some kind of marks where the chain has been hitting the case try and move the chain up and down by hand. It should only have 3/4 " movement. If that's all it has you might be in trouble. I say that because there's more than one reason for a knocking noise at idle and the second one is what I call, in technical terms "Not Good".
Old 28th September 2010
Greasemonkey

It has more movement than 3/4", and there is some marks from where the chain is hitting the case below the front of the clutch basket.

Is the only chain adjustment that bolt/nut that sticks out of the case? Motor is a 1981
Old 28th September 2010
Greasemonkey

Let me also clarify that the motor has a fresh build and was never knocking before. This seems to have started after I took the basket off and installed a new clutch cable, thats why Im thinking I may have the chain out of adjustment.

The shifter rod seems to have quite a bit of slop in it, but not sure that means anything.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th September 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlmLrd View Post
It has more movement than 3/4", and there is some marks from where the chain is hitting the case below the front of the clutch basket.

Is the only chain adjustment that bolt/nut that sticks out of the case? Motor is a 1981
yes that is the only adjustment for the chain.how much of the stud is sticking out of the case? it is possible the shoe has come off looks like at the very least you might have to pull the primary again.
Old 28th September 2010
Greasemonkey

Pic of the primary with shoe removed.

Also: is the tensioner spring located correctly?

Old 28th September 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

how long is your adjuster bolt someone may have lost the original and replaced it with the wrong length.
Old 28th September 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

slop in your shifter... don't know what kind of slop your talking about but make sure there is a brass bushing in the primary cover behind your seal for the shaft it can slip out sometimes.
Old 28th September 2010
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasial View Post
slop in your shifter... don't know what kind of slop your talking about but make sure there is a brass bushing in the primary cover behind your seal for the shaft it can slip out sometimes.
Brass bushing is there.

Where Im having problems tightening the chain is here in my manual.

1977-1985

1. Remove primary cover (check)
2. rotate chain till tightest point is halfway between... (check)
3. lift chain with finger to check free play (check)
4. (heres where it loses me)

a. Loosen chain adjuster locknut. (didn't I do that to remove the cover?)
b. Move shoe support up or down to adjust chain free play.
c. Tighten chain adjuster locknut?? and recheck the adjustment.
d. Reinstall access cover..

It all makes sense, but is there supposed to be a chain adjuster locknut inside the case? The only nut on the bolt that holds the shoe on is located outside of the primary case and would need to be tightened after putting the primary case back on.

Am I missing something here?
Know Thy Hog