The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
caseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura about
Default Cam gear timing

So I pulled off the chrome cam cover to replace it with the stock matt grey one on my 2003 1200s,typically when I removed the cover all 3 gears came off inside the cover(I neglected to remove the ignition rotor!)still in situ in their respective bushings etc so I carefully replaced the cover and gears and managed to get it back off again,(ignition rotor removed) whilst this time leaving the gears in the motor...my concern was that something may have moved in the process but when I went to check the cam gear timing as per the manual I don't have anything like the marks they show in the book, cams have some "w" marks on them but nothing on the pinion although I guess that may be out of sight behind the nut?
all the "w" marks are way out of line but I guess thats just where the motor was before I stripped the case off?
Any help advice would be much appreciated..As always!
Old 29th September 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

Can you up load pics of your gears?
Old 30th September 2010
Greasemonkey

caseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura aboutcaseyjones has a spectacular aura about

I've taken some pics but how to upload them is a bit of a mystery...I can load onto my gallery if that helps?
Old 30th September 2010
Greasemonkey

have put a picture on my gallery....tried to put it on here with no joy
Old 30th September 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

You can also go into my pics and see the cam timing pics I have. I know it's a newer bike but I think the timing marks are the same
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st October 2010
Greasemonkey

Thanks Cowboy it doesnt look a lot different,thing that confused me was that there are two quite distinct marks on the two front gears, the two rear gears and the pinion are barely visible and on the rear gears there are two sets of marks.....3 small circles and 3 "V" 's I'm guessing it's the circles you need to line up as there is no way the V marks will line up with anything so I don't know what they are for? I've set it up as far as I am able but I've got a Harley mechanic coming over this evening to check all is as it should be....could get expensive otherwise.
Old 1st October 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Here is the picture from your gallery:

It looks to me like they are out of alignment. I can't see the mark on the crank/main shaft so I assume it is point down and right??? I have picture somewhere of how they are to be aligned, I'll try to find and post it.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 1st October 2010
Super Moderator

Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Old 1st October 2010
Super Moderator

Line all these points up.
Old 1st October 2010
Greasemonkey

Thanks shu, my mechanic buddy came over tonight he had a factory manual(instead of my Clymer version) and we easily identified the correct marks....the small "o" 's, he said to disregard the V marks,anyway we got it all lined up as you have illustrated shu so hopefully all will be fine when I go to start her up next week.
Next on my shopping list is a factory manual!
Know Thy Hog