The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Dead Creek Cycles
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered
Motor Stage

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
dwildwood2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Handlebar switch compatability

I have a 2004 883 Standard w 1200 kit, just for the record...I decided to change bars and discovered a horrible mess with the previous owner's attempt at internal wiring. The switch housing wires have been spliced with poor soldering skills which brings about my question. Can you take a perfectly good set of 1991 XL handlebar switches and their housings and adapt them to my later model without running into major issues??
Old 17th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL converted to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough

I believe the throttle cables are different, so they would have to be replaced (The older cables screw into the throttle housing where in 1996 they switched to the snap in type). I also don't know how everything would line up for the brake master cylinder to the brake switch in the switch housing. I believe if you stick to 1996 or later switches and housing, everything should work. Roger
Old 17th October 2010
Biker

I didnt think about the master cylinder and switch match up at all...thanks for the info...i did manage to think about the throttle cable part and i located older cables in my stash that would work.
Old 17th October 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
matridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura aboutmatridge has a spectacular aura about

i would consider sliceing in some good wire then put heat shrink tube on the conections. it would be just like extending the wires for ape hangers. but i dont know how bad the pervious owner messed it up.
Old 17th October 2010
Biker

On one side he started his splice directly next to the switches inside of the housings and thats where my problem comes in. Sounds like i will need to chase down some good used 96 and above switches to complete my bar change....Gotta have my apes!!
Know Thy Hog