The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Superbrace
Ironworks Magazine
Foxcreek Leather
S&S Cycle

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
BlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of light
Default xl1200 Custom 03 vs. 99

My bud and I have the same model bike. His a 99 and mine an Anniversary 03.
His is faster than mine. In the short distance and on the open hiway.

His is stock (non Cali emissions). 2" Drag pipes with no baffles. Stock jets(42 slow and 170 main).

Mine has the Cali crap stripped off. I've added the hurricane 3" forward offset air filter, a breather kit and vance n hines pipes. I've also removed the stock slow jet 42 and replaced it with a 45 and left the main stock which I believe in the cali model is a 185.

Why don't I have the edge over his ride?
Thanks
Old 24th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

He is better looking ???
Old 24th October 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250
Sportster/Buell Year: '02
Phillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant future

What colors are these bikes?

everyone knows black bikes are the fastest.... if you have one of those half black half silver ones, then you're going to be a bit slower than his all black

Old 24th October 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
BlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of lightBlackBikeDave is a glorious beacon of light

Funny but I don't want to start a joke thread
Old 24th October 2010
Biker

lespaul6 has disabled reputation

Do you guys weigh the same? how close is a race is it?
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Usually this has more to do with the rider than the bike.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes

Last edited by jharback; 25th October 2010 at 01:37..
Old 25th October 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

And sometimes a bike (or other vehicle) just runs better than others...everything just "clicks"...
I used to take my bike to the stealer for it's services while it was still under warrenty just so I'd have record of it, and on more than one occasion I had the tech come out and find me in the waiting room to see what I had done to it...they were shocked to find out it was just a simple stage one....they said it was the fastest stock sporty they ever rode....(3 different times at 2 different stealerships).
Hard to narrow it down to exactly what is "jiving" so well on one over the other, but if you take two idetical vehicles one will be faster than the other...just the way it is...

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Old 25th October 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

you mentioned your jets in the post. just cuz you have bigger jets in the carb doesn't mean that your bike should be faster. if your jetting is off in this case you put a bigger intermediate jet in and it's main jet is bigger where it was a cali bike even tho you stripped the stuff off and now its running to rich then your gonna loose power compared to a bike that is properly jetted.
you can take a 1200 with a shitty tune and running way to rich and have an 883 walk all over it.
just my .02
Old 25th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasial View Post
you mentioned your jets in the post. just cuz you have bigger jets in the carb doesn't mean that your bike should be faster. if your jetting is off in this case you put a bigger intermediate jet in and it's main jet is bigger where it was a cali bike even tho you stripped the stuff off and now its running to rich then your gonna loose power compared to a bike that is properly jetted.
you can take a 1200 with a shitty tune and running way to rich and have an 883 walk all over it.
just my .02
+1
That's the truth!
Old 25th October 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL 883c/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLH 1000 Ironhead
Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
Usually this has more to do with the rider than the bike.