The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Chopper & Bobber Talk
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Chopper & Bobber Talk Talk about your Sportster motorcycle chopper or bobber!!.

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Intruder
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
reblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nice
Default Sergical bobber from Hell !

Hi all , since i was a kid i always wanted a Harley chop/bob , well i could never afford one , thats until 2 years ago when i bought my Sportster.

When i first bought my 1996 sporty it was hardy ridden and i bought it with the sole intention that one day i will chop it , i have done quite a few projects on jap bikes so i had in mind what i wanted , at first i was enjoying riding the sportster as it was so i though .....man this is a fine bike so why should i chop it ? after 2 years riding her i decided that my dream should come true ,after all if you stop dreaming you stop living !

So i bought a hardtail weld on from ledsled and i started the project while i was still riding the bike itself , i started by buying a rear 16'x 200 wheel and a fender , i fabricated a pair of struts and mudguard mounts , rear brake set up , rear wheel spacers a battery box a fuel tank and started fabricating an oil tank when my left hand said ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,F you man ! , i had carpal tunnel syndrome so i had to go in for surgery ,that meant halt to my dream ,,, in the mean time i sold the oil tank i was fabricating and bought a mooneyes oil tank and a fuel tank which i chopped up .

This weekend im off to Gozo (sister island of Malta) with my club for a relaxing holiday and when i come back (thats next tuesday) im gonna start on my project !
Hopefully tuesday i will dismantle the bike and wednesday should be chop day !

Here are a few pics of what ive done so far ,,stay tuned for more pics as from next week !

BTW Ideas and advice would be appreciated !

Last edited by reblu; 2nd September 2009 at 13:59..
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
POUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the roughPOUNDS is a jewel in the rough

So far so good
I like the "fuel gauge" how difficult is that to do, would love to put that on my tank this winter.
thanks
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

reblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nicereblu is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONOFA View Post
So far so good
I like the "fuel gauge" how difficult is that to do, would love to put that on my tank this winter.
thanks
was quite easy ,bought one from flyright ,figured out where i wanted it , measured , drilled and welded the tabs , thats on a new tank ,dont know about a used one tho
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

BTW im calling it SERGICAL BOBBER FROM HELL because my garage is called Sergical garage (yep my name is Serg) and FROM HELL after Jack the ripper
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work. That Moon Eyes tank is avery nice piece.
Old 2nd September 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
Nice work. That Moon Eyes tank is avery nice piece.
Thanks i got a mooneyes air filter too to match ,its small and i sandbalsted it and painted it black
Old 2nd September 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
daggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to all

right on man, looks good! lookin forward to progress
Old 2nd September 2009
Angel Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Year: 02
BryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enoughBryanEOD will become famous soon enough

Off to a impressive start... good luck with the rest and keep us all posted on the progress!
The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions.
-Paulo Coelho

1%er Name
Ratso of the Gas Guzzlers MC
Old 2nd September 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
SLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enoughSLS will become famous soon enough

Looks like it's gonna be a good one! Keep us posted of your progress.

Good luck with the Carpel Tunnel healing process.....don't overdo it.
Old 2nd September 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR 900rr
Other Motorcycle Year: 1993
Ironhead-P is on a distinguished roadIronhead-P is on a distinguished roadIronhead-P is on a distinguished road

Nice work, I like that battery box. I am jealous of your shop..