The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Lowbrow Customs
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace
Get Lowered

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
SCchopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starter relay location.

I have a basket-case 79 xlh, that I am rebuilding. It looks to me as if the starter relay would mount behind the seat near the circuit breakers, however my bike is a rigid and did not come with one. I have a couple of manuals, but neither says a word on location. They assume that you have it put together already. Also, I'm running points, not electronic ignition.
Old 26th October 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

not to sound but put it any where you want as you are build it your way Nikki
Old 26th October 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
SCchopper is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand my freedom of choice; I could mount it on top of my helmet, if I made the wires long enough. I am refering to the original mounting location, as to make sence of what the bracketry looks like. I have the original AMF factory service manual and te Clymer "ironhead" manual. It isn't in there. I want to know the original bracket's location. It was mounted to what, in which location? Mine came in a box.
Old 26th October 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

My 1980, which would be similar but i do not know if the same, had it under the seat, on the right side, to the right of the circuit breakers; there is a square steel bracker there. The relay was one of the cube types. It was rubber mounted to the bracket, on the circuit breaker side of the bracket. The rubber was one of those odd things with a stud on each side. One stud into the bracket, the other into the relay.

If i carried on with this description long enough i would have the 1000 words to make up for the picture that i do not have.
Old 26th October 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster rigid
hasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura about

On my 79 xls it was under the oil tank/battery. I just got the bike back and the old school relay was tossed for a new modern type (bosch). My indy then wired it next to all the circuts. The new one is small so it will go anywhere. I should figure out how to post some photo's
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th October 2010
Chief Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Smerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to allSmerch is a name known to all

The oil tank and battery tray are integral on the '79.

The starter relay is bolted to 2 tabs that stick down from the battery tray, placing it in between the frame rails. It's exposed to all the crap that the rear wheel slings into that area. Make sure it's grounded well.

I'll post a pick if that would help.
Old 26th October 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura abouttat2d2dope has a spectacular aura about

i always ditch the factory relay and wire in a bosch small type for driving lights ect.

SOLD for 76 shovelhead and $5000
Old 27th October 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

As others above have said it was originally mounted outside the right hand side oil/battery cover.

It sits level with the lower part of this cover and just behind it - fully exposed to the elements.

The original large brown styled one has been and still is a constant source of solenoid failures due to its offshore design and manufacturing limitations.

If you are committed to using it (not recommended) make sure the battery's input wire and the relay's output wire to the solenoid are 10 - 12 AWG automotive grade. Many times the smaller wire sizes lead to a burnt out relay from excessive heat.

Also the original relay has an extra post which is a +12 by-pass used only for vehicles with a ballast resistor in series with the ignition coil. Our Sportsters of course do not have this feature so it needs to remain unused.

The smaller, cheaper, more reliable metal can relays are easier to mount - provided the spade connectors are each soldered as well as crimped.

Lastly make sure to apply copious amounts of dielectric grease over each terminal for added protection and corrosion resistance.

Cheers;
Old 27th October 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Head View Post
...Lastly make sure to apply copious amounts of dielectric grease over each terminal for added protection and corrosion resistance ...
... remembering that dielectric grease is not a conductor, so too much is not good. Perhaps you should apply it after making the connection?
Old 27th October 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
pdamedic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mount Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCchopper View Post
I have a basket-case 79 xlh, that I am rebuilding. It looks to me as if the starter relay would mount behind the seat near the circuit breakers, however my bike is a rigid and did not come with one. I have a couple of manuals, but neither says a word on location. They assume that you have it put together already. Also, I'm running points, not electronic ignition.
I just went through this same frustration. I have a 76, after I figured out the wiring and looked in the locations that others on this forum told me...which is the same thing they are telling you. I found it can only go (on my 76) bolted to the bottom of the batter box on the kickstand side. If your is like mine there is a hole in the back bottom of the battery box. That is also where the length of the stock wiring will reach to it as well. It sucks for two reasons....one it is exposed....two it looks like crap.

Personally...I am not trying to have an all stock bike. I just bought a new relay from J & P and now I wish I would not have. Wasted $29 bucks. At the time I was not aware of other electrical options. I got a new battery and hoped I could fit the relay inside the battery box as there is extra room, but no way, just too big.

I put in three new circuit breakers cleaned up that area of the bike, got it looking nice, tied the wires down, etc.... I tried to fit it under the breakers...it looks tight. I will probably scrap it.