The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
Figure Machine
Biltwell

Superbrace
Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lemons has disabled reputation
Default Made in China?

Recently took part in a market research survey conducted by a well known polling company here in the UK on behalf of HD. During a 45 minute survey one interesting section asked for opinions on HD producing bikes in China, India and Slovakia - anybody else heard any info on this subject?
Old 28th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Wouldn't that be nice!
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki TS125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
MacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really niceMacAttack is just really nice

No, but if I do, I'll tell them what I think: I have disposable income (from time to time). I bought an HD in large part because of its heritage. If it isn't from the US, it's not quite the same bike, so I may as well look around. And in that case, a big sport-tourer looks like lots of fun.
Harley's desparate to expand internationally, and it would cost less to produce locally, especially in Chindia. My opinion is that unless they want to leave their niche and compete in the mass market, it would be a mistake to manufacture outside the US.
Old 28th October 2010
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

If they do want to make a bike in China I would not have a problem with it if if it was a small displacement and designed to be sold in Asia only. That would make financial sense to me. Just don't try to ship manufacturing of their current bikes overseas.
www.nrhsperformance.com

AMA 1350cc M-PG record holder @167.452 mph.
faster than the BNI record too.
Old 28th October 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If they do want to make a bike in China I would not have a problem with it if if it was a small displacement and designed to be sold in Asia only. That would make financial sense to me. Just don't try to ship manufacturing of their current bikes overseas.
Very good point, though a survey in the UK would imply they are considering exporting them elswhere. Which I think would ruin the brand!
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 28th October 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lemons has disabled reputation
Default Made in China

hadn't thought of Dans point about smaller displacement bikes for sale in asia - I got the distinct impression it was the current model range they were trying to guage opinion on. There were several questions mentioning 750cc engines, also several queries about air cooled over water cooled.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th October 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

If a Harley was made in China or India, there would no longer be a reason to buy it. Do people have any buying "morals"?? I still can not believe the number of HD buyers who drive Toyotas and such, where is the rational for this?
Old 28th October 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

You can already buy helmets made in China at the H-D Stealership and they come in a box with 'Proudly Made in America' as part of the logo. If they are going to lie about that...why not make bikes in China?!?
Old 28th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
fatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of light

Why bitch and complain about made in china, take a look at the items in your house, the clothes on your back, the parts on your American motorcycle. Better yet go shop at Target, Wal-Fart, Everythings -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- made in China. Did someone just wake up after a thirty year nap...
Old 28th October 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB400T---SOLD
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
aaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of lightaaandht is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattypatty88 View Post
Why bitch and complain about made in china, take a look at the items in your house, the clothes on your back, the parts on your American motorcycle. Better yet go shop at Target, Wal-Fart, Everythings -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- made in China. Did someone just wake up after a thirty year nap...
Actually my shirt is USA made(HD shirt I got a year ago). 95% of the parts on my bike are USA made(Battery, JD top clamp, and Horn), and those parts that aren't USA made aren't from China.

If you look you'll find American made, and at times it is cheaper to buy American! Shopping at the dollar store a few weeks back I found this out.

Just because a large amount of products are made in China doesn't mean we can't push to bring jobs back to our shores.
Old 28th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
fatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of light

I whole-heartedly agree, and I apologize if I come off as brazen...not my intention. I guess I sort of get frustrated at the current state of the world, and should think more before I type. I am apart of the problem, and dont mean to insinuate that I might not be...
Know Thy Hog

Closed Thread