The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Get Lowered
NHRS Performance
Superbrace.com
Bison Motorsports

Get Lowered
Tags
black out, paint

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold
Default How To Black Out

Howdy,
I am really liking the Nightster look, or the blacked out look. Just finished looking through many of the photo's on this forum and liked the Liam look.

What paint can be used to paint the forks, etc. Enamel, Epoxy, What? Can a rattle can be used, or does a professional booth/spray gun need to be used?

I assume that the surface is scuffed with a DA sander and then the paint is applied? Does it need to be baked?

Thank you in advance for your advice. And sorry if this horse has already been beaten, I didn't find much with a search.

kr
Old 28th October 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I would powdercoat them. You can paint them but someday you paint them again. I'm sure that you could do a good job with a rattle can, if you disassemble and mask well you could do them on the bike.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 28th October 2010
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 92 sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
Sportster/Buell Model #2: my other ride has tits
921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaskins View Post
I would powdercoat them. You can paint them but someday you paint them again. I'm sure that you could do a good job with a rattle can, if you disassemble and mask well you could do them on the bike.

i agree i painted mine with a rattle can as best as any body can and with dirt rocks bugs and anyother thing you can think will chip it away powder coat is much better and its two forks how much can it cost really this is what ill be doing to mine over the winter POWDER COAT save the hassle of doing it twice
Old 29th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Yeah, I'd also recommend powder coating them. If you do rattle can 'em don't use a sander just get a scotch brite pad and scuff 'em up some so the paint will have something to stick to.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 29th October 2010
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

freeidaho........

You can also use this stuff..........but like powdercoating, it's baked on and will require removing and disassembling your forks. You can do this stuff yourself though.

www.kgcoatings.com

Stuff: YES
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th October 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
fatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of lightfatty883 is a glorious beacon of light

Yo Freeidaho, welcome to the forum...
Old 29th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Howdy,
Thank you gentlemen. I will look into each of these. I am also a gun guy, so the KG coating is interesting to me too.

Editted to add: Based on the recommendation I checked local Powder Coaters. Three days turn around and $75 for fork legs and rear fender brackets. I Like It !

Thanks again,
kr
Old 29th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Okay, me again,
How about powder coating the stock exhaust? Will it stand up to the heat over the years?

Thank you for your advice,

kr
Old 29th October 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
linkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nice

High temp paint or charco grill paint is the stuff for exhausts it will need to be done once in a while but looks good and holds up better than most stuff.
Old 29th October 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thank you,
I recall skimming some threads on high temp paint. I will use the search engine to find out more.

Thanks again,

kr
Know Thy Hog