The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > OFF TOPIC > Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Military Vets, Active Duty, Reserves This area is for veterans and military members of all countires can discuss vet issues.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
NRHS Performance Long 2
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sport C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
caveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nicecaveplay is just really nice
Default Medal of Honor

Today the collegian ( penn state news paper )
had a peice about Michael Muphy U.S. NAVY and
Medal of Honor recipient

I sent the the writer Alyssa Owens a email
she called it the congressional medal of honor
Old 16th October 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

That's what it is commonly called.

http://www.cmohs.org/medal.htm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 16th October 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki SV650S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
donniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura about

I've always heard it reffered to that as well. I believe because it is awarded via an act of Congress.

PS. I've also heard that the recipient, as part of the award, is entitled to ~$50,000 per year for life, tax free. I have nothing to back that up though, just hearsay.
Old 16th October 2007
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTC Softail Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road747 FlightEngineer is on a distinguished road

I have also heard it called CMOH and just MOH but in the end it only goes to real American Heroes.
Old 17th October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
sfxtech will become famous soon enoughsfxtech will become famous soon enoughsfxtech will become famous soon enoughsfxtech will become famous soon enoughsfxtech will become famous soon enoughsfxtech will become famous soon enough

I just watched a thing on History Channel about Pearl Harbor. They interviewed John Finn he is the only living survivor of Pearl Harbor that received the Medal of Honor. He said in the special, he doesn't think of himself as a hero, he still wears it to this day, not to show it off, but to honor all the soldiers that did not survive. And that survivors got purple hearts, MOH, and all sorts of other awards, and "the only thing the others got, was dead."

edit: Link to show on History Channel
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th October 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

Historically, there are separate Medals of Honor (Army, Navy, Air Force) with the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard sharing the same design. Now they're collectively referred to as just the Congressional Medal of Honor, but depending on branch, the design of the medal may be different.

The medal is for the bravest of the brave and no matter what you call it, I'm humbled by the sacrifice made by those so honored.

67 XL Forum members -- people just like you (only now a little skinnier) -- have joined and
pledged to lose over 2,400 pounds. We've lost over 459 pounds so far!

2 people have already achieved their goals!

Check out our progress on the Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm). You can join at any time by sending me a PM.

Check out my Sportster photo gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/dagruber#100025&view=carouseljs&sel=0)!
Old 19th October 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
chieftd is an unknown quantity at this point

The current VA monthly stipend for MOH receipients is $1104 per month. It also increases with yearly cost of living increases. So for 2008 it will go up 2.3%. Regards, chieftd

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/special1.htm
Old 19th October 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki SV650S
donniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura aboutdonniej has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
The current VA monthly stipend for MOH receipients is $1104 per month. It also increases with yearly cost of living increases. So for 2008 it will go up 2.3%. Regards, chieftd

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/special1.htm
Thank you for the link. I was always curious as to what cash award the recipient got...
Old 19th October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXB Sturgis
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
klinesamuel is on a distinguished roadklinesamuel is on a distinguished road

In 1991 I was stationed at Fort Hood, TX. They were celebrating the 50th anniversary of WWII and I believe it was for the 2nd Armored Division. Anyway, they invited back anyone who served with the division which of course included the Medal of Honor recipients.
There must have been dozens of these old timers walking around with there medal proudly hanging around their neck.
My most vivid memory of this was watching the post commander LT General Graves calling everyone to attention when one of these heroes passed us on the street. He turned and gave the finest salute I ever saw coming from his hand. I worked for the guy and that was the only time I ever seen anyone outrank him so, that's why I remember that so well.
Thanks for the memories,
Sam
Old 19th October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 XL 1200 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: BD MASTIFF
LDO is on a distinguished roadLDO is on a distinguished roadLDO is on a distinguished roadLDO is on a distinguished roadLDO is on a distinguished road

Actually,
Although commonplace, the term "Congressional Medal of Honor" is not correct. It is sometimes referred to as the Congressional Medal of Honor because the President presents the award "in the name of the Congress."

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is so named because that is the name it was given in an act of Congress signed into law by President Eisenhower on August 5, 1958.

Here's a good link on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

S/F!
V&H Short/Shot/Staggered

"Damn it feels good to be a THUGSTA!!"
Know Thy Hog