The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Motor Stage
Bison Motorsports
RYCA Motors
S&S Cycle

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

epinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the rough
Default Finally caught a correct gas tank, or so I thought...

Two weeks ago I did my usual round on ebay when this listing showed up. One correct two bung CH tank, a little rough & had some brazing around the right side bung... But it came with a "Buy it now" option, so I took it & paid for it immidiately! One less item on my to get list...

So the other day it finally arrived! Went down to the post office to pic it up, & when I opened up the box this is what was inside...

Needless to say I was pretty annoyed, contacted the seller who responded with:
"I have several of these old Sportster tanks. The one you bought might not be exactly like the one in the picture. Will the tank I sent you suit your purposes??!"

I told him that there was no way to figure out through the listing that the tank pictured was not the actual one I was going to get. And there was 4 different pics of it, what would be the purpose of that if you just would get some random Sportster tank anyway...?

He offered a partial refund but I told him that I wanted either a correct type of tank in similar condition or a full refund for all my expenses since the tank he sent me has no value to me at all...

I'm trying to work out some deal & see if he might have some other parts I could use, but it moving too slow & I'm pissed... Anyway sorry about the rant, just had to vent a little...

Btw, if it don't work out what are my chances of getting my money back through ebay?
Old 6th November 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

If there is no mention that the pics were not the actual item, ebay will refund your money and charge the seller. I found ebay to be very good with disputes. Go for it..
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato
Old 6th November 2010
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000XLCH IH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
konel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of lightkonel1 is a glorious beacon of light

Chances are real good if you paid for it through paypal.Just contact them and tell them he posted one item and sent you something else.I would'nt deal with him on any parts at all after this ordeal.It's obvious he can't be trusted.
"When I was young, Most of my money was spent on Motorcycles, Women, and Whiskey...
The rest of it I just wasted":smoke
Old 6th November 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
FeHead84 has disabled reputation

File your claim with Paypal. You are covered. Just say, "Not as advertised".
Old 6th November 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: 76R90, 2010 Thunderbird
drhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the roughdrhach is a jewel in the rough

Yeah both ebay and paypal (which ebay owns) are very good about that stuff. They have also changed their policies to be more pro "buyer" than seller. Maybe get a screen shot of the listing before it disappers just to verify your claim. Also, keep a copy of the seller's response. Because he basically acknowlged that he sent you the wrong tank. That will go a long way in getting what you want. As always, the better your paper trail, the better off you are if there's a problem.

Is that second bung for the vent on the Tillotsons carbs, BTW?
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th November 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ironhead xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
1200EFI is an unknown quantity at this point

That sucks, and the ebay sellers name is ...........
Old 6th November 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster rigid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
hasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura about

As others say you should be covered. The seller should be removed from ebay for false advertising. If it is ok to do what he did then anyone could post a image of a new part and then send you something used. The tank he sent you looks like it should be scraped.
You should file a claim now.
Old 6th November 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 77 Ironhead Sporty
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 02 FLHRI Road King
Other Motorcycle Model: XS650, XL600R, WR400F
Vincenthdfan will become famous soon enoughVincenthdfan will become famous soon enoughVincenthdfan will become famous soon enoughVincenthdfan will become famous soon enoughVincenthdfan will become famous soon enoughVincenthdfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeHead84 View Post
File your claim with Paypal. You are covered. Just say, "Not as advertised".
I second this statement....been there, done that!

Its amazing to me how increasingly brazen and lazy sellers have become on Ebay.

It didnt use to be that way, but I have found that as years have gone by the standards on that site have really gone downhill.

I've received some absolute junk from folks that represented their items as outstanding in condition...mind boggling.

Heck I spent $300.00 on a set of triple pipes for a snowmobile that I never received...after some negotiations that quickly went south, I filed a claim through Paypal and when the butthead wouldnt talk to Paypal either, they refunded my money in full and banished the seller from their services.

I still buy on Ebay, but Im really careful to ask specific questions...twice bitten twice shy as they say.

Anyway...rant off, lol.

Thanks for listening.
Old 6th November 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enough

yes file a claim and you'll get a full refund.

SOLD for 76 shovelhead and $5000
Old 6th November 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

epinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the roughepinut is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all advice guys! Good to know that I stand a chance of getting my money back. And you're probably right, no point in trying to work things out with a dishonest character like this either...

Thing is since I'm located in Sweden I also had to pay around $50 in import taxes & custom fees before I received it, but those are probably lost? Guess I'll have to be satisfied if can recoup the actual ammount + shipping cost (which btw was inflated by $20).

Out of all ebay dealings I ever made this is actually the only one that's gone really sour though...
Know Thy Hog