The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
DK Customs
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2010
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250
Sportster/Buell Year: '02
Phillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant futurePhillober has a brilliant future
Default how far can you go in 3.5 days? (round trip)

How far can you ride in 3 and a half days?

Come mid December, I'm going to have 3 and a half days to go wherever, and I'm trying to plot out my course...

so how about some ideas as to reasonable distances I can go?

-thanks
Old 11th November 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I try to never exceed 300-400 miles a day. More than that can get pretty tiring. And when run consecutively, even more so. So figure about a 1,000 miles.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 11th November 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C ...traded...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883...sold...
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Switchback
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Francois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant futureFrancois has a brilliant future

All depend on a couple of things: how many miles a day can you handle, how far apart are gas stations, are you camping, how many luggage will you take along, how is the roads etc.

2012 XLF Calendar
Old 11th November 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
I try to never exceed 300-400 miles a day. More than that can get pretty tiring. And when run consecutively, even more so. So figure about a 1,000 miles.
I agree with this also, especially if your doing any sight seeing.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Fixedsys"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447"]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
Old 11th November 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Me too....I also try to always plan more milage in the beginning and end with the least amount of miles due to "wear and tear"...example 1000 miles would go: 400, 350, 250...

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th November 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

I usually do less on the way out, see the sights, take the pics, and then boot it home on the last day. I can do a 600 mile boot home no problem.
[thread=748897]Smokey Mountains 2010[/thread]
[thread=804318]MI Thumb Ride 2010[/thread]
[thread=825569]Galeton PA 2010[/thread]
[thread=871247]Northern Ontario 2010[/thread]
[thread=1079942]Trippin on the Buell Ulyssess 2011[/thread]
[thread=1156456]The Cold War is Over, Going to the Commie Side[/thread]
[thread=1521312]Rocky Mountain High[/thread]

[thread=506991]The Bridge Thread[/thread]
Old 11th November 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
tjduexjr has disabled reputation

I think it's more important to think about how much time you want to spend in the saddle each day. Once you determine that, you can determine how many miles you'll go each day based on what type of riding you plan on doing. You can put on a lot of miles if you cruise the slab all day, less miles if you're in the twisties or doing back roads with slower speed limits. You should also factor in site seeing time.

You also have to keep in mind how long you can do each type of riding. I'm setup where I can do pretty much anything all day long at the moment (8-10 hours comfortably). The biggest weakness for me is getting bored riding too long on the slab, especially when it's in the middle of nowhere. A little traffic to keep me alert every now and then is welcome.
Old 11th November 2010
Rider Of Motorcycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

I might not be the best person to respond to this question since the farthest I've ever traveled on my bike to date was a 300 mile round trip. But if I had time off just to ride and if I didn't have a specific destination in mind I might plot a course that would keep me within 200 miles of home ... circular if you will. That way if my ride became too much for my butt, or for any other reason I would be within "striking distance" of home. For example, if I drew a circle around where I live with a 200 mile radius it would include the Texas Hill Country, The Valley, The piny woods of East Texas, and most of the lakes north of here. No matter where I go I am not so far away I have to suffer a long trip home.
Old 11th November 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: HD Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
JayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura aboutJayFL459 has a spectacular aura about

Rode 1800 miles to Sturgis in 3 days but have to admit it was not enjoyable doing that kind of mileage 3 consecutive days but the guys riding with had limited time to get there with work commitments .. 1,000 miles sounds enjoyable ..
Old 11th November 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
pquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant future

Not sure what you mean about the half day, so assuming you really only have two days just ride for a day and see where you end up then ride home.