The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2005
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
KingSize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 Deaths in 2 Days in KC - Yikes!

4 motorcycle deaths in the KC area last weekend. Sad, sad, sad. Of course it was all over the news and my wife about went apeshit. Of course I was out riding with my buddy on Saturday too.

It's getting scary out there guys. Hell you can see it just driving to work in your car, let alone being on 2 wheels.
Old 11th July 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
DM-SC is an unknown quantity at this point

It is, indeed getting worse...seemingly by the day.

2004 Heritage Classic - Ness Big Sucker, V&H Longshots, PCIIIUSB
Former Sporty Pilot...Now riding a "Road Sofa"
Old 11th July 2005
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
SC_Compact has disabled reputation

How many people die each year in car accidents?

Does this mean you should stop driving a car?

One of the guys at work had some stats regarding bike accidents. A large percentage involved drinking and riding. Then another large percentage was riding without a helmet and then there was another group who only were riding a short time.

Last year they had two deaths in Ct. in the same area in a week. Both guys were in their 40's hadn't ridden for many years and overcooked a turn causing the to cross the yellow line into oncoming traffic.

Many people will not drive a small car because they don't feel safe in a small car. However I can be in a Mini and get by a Suburban and die or I could be in a Suburban and get hit by an 18 wheeler and die. I am a firm believer when your number is up your number is up. That is the only way I can explain making it through the 1970's and 1980's and still being here today.
Old 11th July 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
daesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished road

There are many things we can do to make it safer. Having said that, there is always an inherent risk because of the "other" guy, road hazards, etc.
Old 11th July 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
DM-SC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar
There are many things we can do to make it safer. Having said that, there is always an inherent risk because of the "other" guy, road hazards, etc.
It was the "other guy" that I was refering to. People just don't drive with safety, either their own or that of others, in mind.

The disregard for safety is growing...
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th July 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
2wheeltodd is on a distinguished road2wheeltodd is on a distinguished road2wheeltodd is on a distinguished road

Here is something that would help:

Require ALL drivers to take MOTORCYCLE safety course. I think the incidents would drop sharply.

05' XL 1200 C Taxes Paid
Member - Patriot Guard Riders
Member - Rochester NY HOG
Old 11th July 2005

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default Speeding through curves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Compact
How many people die each year in car accidents?

Does this mean you should stop driving a car?

One of the guys at work had some stats regarding bike accidents. A large percentage involved drinking and riding. Then another large percentage was riding without a helmet and then there was another group who only were riding a short time.

Last year they had two deaths in Ct. in the same area in a week. Both guys were in their 40's hadn't ridden for many years and overcooked a turn causing the to cross the yellow line into oncoming traffic.

Many people will not drive a small car because they don't feel safe in a small car. However I can be in a Mini and get by a Suburban and die or I could be in a Suburban and get hit by an 18 wheeler and die. I am a firm believer when your number is up your number is up. That is the only way I can explain making it through the 1970's and 1980's and still being here today.
Is a huge issue in bike wrecks. Too many people going to damn fast and many of them through the canyons. My Uncle wrecked his bike going to fast in a curve. Hit the outside portion of the lane, caught gravel and adios over the edge. He is lucky with no major injuries. I rode with a couple of large groups and it seem's everyone wants to race.

I like to cruise period. If more people slowed down and rode within thier abilities, many people would fair better. As for left turn cagers, not much we can do about that.

Loco
So. Cal...
Old 11th July 2005
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
SC_Compact has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco
I like to cruise period. If more people slowed down and rode within thier abilities, many people would fair better. As for left turn cagers, not much we can do about that.

Loco
So. Cal...
One of the main reasons I bought an HD was to keep me from riding too fast. Prior to my Sportster I had a 1995 Honda ST1100 sport tourer. It had an 1100cc V4 with loads of torque and it would cruise all day long at 90-100 mph and more. I never checked but I estimate top speed on that bike would have been somewhere up around 140mph. Between the V4 and the full fairing 90mph felt like about 55mph. It was just too easy to go fast on that bike.

With my Sportster and now with the Dyna I enjoy sitting back and cruising 60 - 70 mph. I also enjoy relaxing on the back roads taking in the scenery and the smells of the country.

On all the metric bikes I owned it was always the destination that was important. On my HD it is all about the journey and the destination is just a benefit of the ride.
Old 12th July 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: BMW R1200RT
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Blast (Purple) P3
DustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enoughDustyJacket will become famous soon enough

It spooks my wife when she sees the news. (We live on the East border of KC and I work near the West border.) This last one was a lady who almost missed the exit off the highway and slammed on the brakes.

From the vague description, she probably highsided into the guard rail or the ditch.

The other 2 I drove by looked like they got whacked by a car zig zagging through traffic.

I stay off I-70 in rush hour, and take the local highways. Lot less impatient drivers there....... and if I miss a turn, I'll go 'round the block.
Old 12th July 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C originally
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

too many people now of days only care about themselves and what they are doing or what they want to do at that moment. they don't care about whats around them. i had a lady just infront and in the next lane of the car i was in a few weeks ago miss her exit so she just stops in the middle of the highway in her lane and starts pointing at the sign for the exit she wanted to get off of to the other person she's in the car with. i was in my friends car and the guy who was right behind her almost hits her and just swerves right infront of us causing my friends car to almost skid from having to brake so hard. he hits his air horns and she's still pointing away at the sign as we go by her without a care in the world other than she missed her exit and she's to damn stupid to think of what she's doing or to take the next exit and backtrack. thank god i was not on my bike because i would have had to make some drastic measures to avoid the car that swerved into our lane.

and it's not just cars going to fast. i was coming back from my chiropractor the other day and another guy on a sporty cuts me off on the entrance ramp. he was in a turn lane and he went straight infront of me onto the entrance ramp of the highway. then he's going about 55mph in the right lane and i go in the left lane doing about 60. when i slowly pass him all of a sudden he looks over and guns it into the middle lane and probably got up to about 80 or so until he was pretty far ahead of me then slows down until i got closer to him then guns it again(with a bag of groceries hanging from his throttle grip). then he looks in his mirror and gives me that hand jesture like when a kid does something wrong and the parent yells at them and they point with their hand and shake there hand up and down. and goes into the right lane and gets behind slower cars so i ended up passing him. I guess he wanted to race me but i don't race anyone. if i race i will get stupid and make a stupid move and end up killing myself.

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30░ reverse dome pistons
Hammer billet 2" forward offset open air cleaner
Hammer billet intake manifold
Hammer Impact 560's
Buell xb heads with crush level head porting
Mikuni HSR 45
177.5 main
25 slow
Clip 4th slot from top
Jim's powerglide II lifters
Sledge hammer pushrods
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap.
S&S roller rockers
Alto Carbonite clutch with Energy One 15% heavier spring plate.
Daytona twin tech single fire ignition 1005s
Ricor intimnators
13" Ricor IAS shocks
Brembo dual disk setup from a 2012 street glide with matching brembo street glide master cylinder
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

Last edited by mikeLI_77; 12th July 2005 at 01:13..
Know Thy Hog