The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Licks Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura aboutntgxlf has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on changing handlebars

Hi & greetings from Florida. After many years away from the two wheeled world I'm back in the saddle and this time my horse is American Iron. Picked up a 2008 1200C with 300 original miles and it's pure stock. I'm 5' 8" and I love the forward controls for my legs, but could use some inches (1-2) in pullback on the bars. What I want to do is NOT to have to deal with changing cables and brake lines. Harley has a nice handlebar chart but I am not sure of what the stock bar part number is to know my starting point. The Pull Back bar (56021-04B) seems like it requires different cables and it has a pullback of 5.75". Is there another bar that can give me an inch or so without the hassle of cable swapout. I am aware of the curved 6" risers as a possible option but the pullback is 2" which seems the same as stock (?) and this would only add height; anyway, I prefer the enclosed type stock riser. Any help would be appreciated.

PS I ordered and installed a Superbrace after reading the recommendations here and I did notice a difference when I had to make a sudden stop the other day.
Old 9th December 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
DeD Fred has disabled reputation

Hardly has kits to extend the wires, you can go to a low western, and not have to change stuff.
I put a superbar on mine, which is more than stock, and less than low westerns. The wires will be the thing you will run out of first.

If you go to the stealer, they have a kit for there low western.
I'd not use their bars, you can get some for $40ish if you look.
Old 9th December 2010
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

keep the bars and get a 2" pull back riser..... takes about ten minutes to change and you don't have to touch the controls.....

oh, and welcome to the forum from freezing New England........ we'd love to see some pics of your new ride

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 9th December 2010
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerwill View Post
keep the bars and get a 2" pull back riser..... takes about ten minutes to change and you don't have to touch the controls.....

oh, and welcome to the forum from freezing New England........ we'd love to see some pics of your new ride

Ww
With a custom you will need to get a mount for the speedo if changing the riser.

Welcome from freezing Philly!

Sturgis 2009
Around the Lakes 2010
Texas 2011
New England 2011
Wreaths Across America 2011
Labor Day 2012
My first rally - Void 7
Pensacola 2012
Forum trip to Boyer WV July 2013
Coast to Coast to Coast in 100 hours
Butt Lite 7 - 5700 miles in 6 days

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"
Old 9th December 2010
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
With a custom you will need to get a mount for the speedo if changing the riser.

Welcome from freezing Philly!
well then, maybe a Xena mod or a RedTigger mount would do the trick.......

why is the custom different??

Ww
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L chopped & dropped
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: 1600 cc Volcan Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
Pork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to all

Welcome from the Relatively mild climate of Coastal Georgia!

= Chop =

Oh, and , I have nothing!

Bought and paid for!

Chop, Drop, and Roll

Tankslapper of the Heavy Horses MC
Old 9th December 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Softail Deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHX Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200N (sold)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's not many options available without changing out your cables and wiring. The pullback handlebar can be done without changing cables. Any further up or back, you'll have to spend more cash. Do it yourself and save $$ otherwise get ready to spend around $300 to 400 for a shop to do it for you. Dont think of it as spending cash, just making the bike fit you better; and a comfier ride means longer rides!!!

BTW, Welcome aboard from NYC!
Old 9th December 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum from sunny Italy!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 10th December 2010
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerwill View Post
well then, maybe a Xena mod or a RedTigger mount would do the trick.......

why is the custom different??

Ww
Speedo mount is integrated into the top clamp which I believe only fits the stock riser. Found this pic in the gallery and you can kind of see it.

Old 10th December 2010
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to behold

Protect your gas tank before disassembly.
04/07 76"C NRHS #2 11:1 .590 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1
Know Thy Hog