The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Foxcreek Leather
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Shuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished road
Default Low fuel warning light

Hey guys I have searched but am unable to find any info regarding the low fuel warning light and any possible fix from the moco. Mine comes on after you ride for about five minutes and will not go out unless you turn the bike off. It doesn't matter if the tank is full or not. Has anybody been able to fix this or is it something we will all have to live with. I go primarily by the mileage, but this darn light coming on expecially at night is disgusting. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
2009 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200C, vivid black, Vance & Hines big radius, SEPST, SE/Heavybreather ac, HD detachable backrest/pad/luggage rack, HD detachable windshield, detachable HD synthetic leather saddlebags, three brakelight's/run/brake/turn signal mod, sundowner saddle, RK shocks, Prog fork spgs, bullet lenses F&R.
Old 10th December 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Tater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to allTater is a name known to all

Yeah I wish mine worked right, but its like the rest, I've had it come on after leaving home with what I though was a near full tank, worried, I pulled in at the next gas station and filled up with a total of 0.7 gal. ......
Then on my last ride about 3 weeks ago it came on at 118 mi. a good bit before I got home and I filled up at about 145 mi. and about 45 mi. from home with 10% ethanol which I don't like and didn't want to park with a tank full of... Maybe I can get a warm enough day to ride it out and refill with non ethanol...
Could I trade my light for a reserve please......
Have a good one...Tater...
Viking Shock Cutout Saddlebags, Mustang Seat, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, SuperBrace...
Old 10th December 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud ofBKB has much to be proud of

Was having the same glitch on mine. I pulled all the fuses, cleaned all the contacts in the fuse block & the blades on the fuses. Disconected the battery cables, both ends, & cleaned them as well. Used the dielectric grease on everything when I put it all back together & have not seen the problem since. My battery was also questionable & I replaced it at the same time. That was in September. No light until @ 140 miles now. I'm thinking the light is a bit sensetive to voltage level. If it's not up to par, it likes to come on to bug us & let us know there's something amiss, electrically.
Old 10th December 2010
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Shuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished roadShuckun's is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brian and Tater for your help. I just had my battery connections off two weeks ago when I put on the Vance and Hines fuelpak, but I didn't put dielectic grease on the connections. I have pulled all the fuses in the past and cleaned the blades, but then again I did'nt put the grease on them. Think i'll do that. Thanks again fellows, stay warm ride safe.
Old 10th December 2010
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
TinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to behold

I have a 2010 Iron with the same problem. As of last weekend i had never had the battery cables off or done anything electrically to my bike. I thought the problem was an electrical issue so i checked all my connections were clean and i checked all the fuse blades.....it is still going on with my bike. Very,very frustrating to say the least. I'm not sure what the problem is,but,when i find it i will post with the results. If anyone else has any ideas about this problem,or had the same,please let me know. Thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th December 2010
Chief Know It All

TinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to beholdTinMan_4L is a splendid one to behold

I also talked to the resident "genius" at my local harley shop and i may as well have talked to a deer....same look....big eyes in the headlights followed with a long uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.......:P
Old 10th December 2010
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R in Silver
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha TY250D
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki RG500CH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
new2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nicenew2HDfrank is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Used the dielectric grease on everything when I put it all back together & have not seen the problem since.
Not a bad hijack , but where in the h*** do you buy dielectric grease? Auto Parts Store? I asked at the radio controlled car / cell phone store (formerly known as radio shack) and the 11 year old salesperson (political correctness) looked at me like I was from another planet.

Frank
Old 10th December 2010
Chief Know It All

You can find it at Lowes,Home Depot,or an electrical supply company if you have one in your area. I get mine at a local Wescott Hardware .
Old 10th December 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: '09 Iron 883
michaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the roughmichaelmartin is a jewel in the rough

Radio Shack should have it too, but your local HD dealer should have some if you can't find any.
Old 10th December 2010
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1250R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
stimbrell has disabled reputation

If this happens in cold weather, my Buell 1125R does this, I have been told the sensor works on temperature, when the petrol falls below the low fuel level the sensor is no longer sitting in the petrol and light comes on, if it is cold enough the petrol becomes cold enough to trigger the sensor and the low fuel light is on regardless of fuel level. With my Fuel in frame Buell the light goes off when the engine and exhaust heats the frame up enough to warm the petrol but that is not going to happen with a Sportster tank. Spoke to a guy with a V Rod the other day when it was close to freezing out and he said his did the same when it was cold.

Edit: Just read in the 1125 electrical diagnostic manual that as the fuel drops the sensor warms when no longer sitting in fuel and triggers the low fuel light, which would not support the above.

Last edited by stimbrell; 10th December 2010 at 19:15..
Know Thy Hog